Sign in to follow this  

500 EXC - Service Schedule?

So I was surprised to find the manual pretty unclear.

I mean it says what to do in 1 hour, 15 hour and 30 hours.

But it says change the oil and oil filter every hour.

Now come on, who does that? Except the pro racers ?

So my question is, how often should I take my bike in for service?

I can do some basic maintenance like air filter cleaning, chain clean & lubing.

I'd like to reserve the oil change & other things for when I take it in.

So every how often?

I've got a 2015 500 EXC 6 Days

It's not the stuff that I can do or know about that I'm worried about.

I'm worried about stuff I don't know, and that they're not doing, that they should do.

I recently bought the movie Motonomad, the guys took their ktm 500 exc through 5 countries, over 7000km in rough conditions, ridden by pro riders...on two oils changes and no air filter cleaning lol Never had any issues, and they say that is because of how great the engines are designed and built. Although that doesn't mean they will never have issues (as this forum can show), it does make me think better of the bike's reliability with out the by the book service. 

Not cleaning the air filter is no big deal. All it does is cut down on the air coming in. It doesn't make the air dirty. Oil changes on the other hand....

John, because I envisage my owning it for a long time, I'm going to be conservative about maintenance.

But I'm not going to baby it when riding it. Like I did with my previous 911 turbo.

Baby'ed it like hell but also drove it like hell.

IMG00453-20100528-1710.jpg

• Like 1

John, because I envisage my owning it for a long time, I'm going to be conservative about maintenance.

But I'm not going to baby it when riding it. Like I did with my previous 911 turbo.

Baby'ed it like hell but also drove it like hell.

IMG00453-20100528-1710.jpg

Please hit the metric button when you post....thank you.

Edited by trailheadposer

Do the oil changes and maintenance yourself, don't let the so called experts at the stealership screw up your new bike.

You should follow the oil change recommendations, this will get the normal break in material out of your engine.

Ya I was wondering this too. I ride my bike like 4 hrs a week and I should change the oil every 15 hrs. Which equaled to 300 miles. I'm not changing it that often. No way. If I raced I understand, just for trail riding with friends on a Saturday. Give me a break.

• Like 1

I would do the frequent changes till you get atleast a few thousand miles then extend if the oil is holding up without a lot of contamination. But people are reporting a lot of contamination in the first few changes. Do Hot drains, while all the particulate is suspended in the oil.

Now if your doing this on $15 perquart oil, Id think you can find something more easy on the pocketbook.

Edited by Spud786

Ya I was wondering this too. I ride my bike like 4 hrs a week and I should change the oil every 15 hrs. Which equaled to 300 miles. I'm not changing it that often. No way. If I raced I understand, just for trail riding with friends on a Saturday. Give me a break.

Drop that expensive oil and use Rotella.........hear comes another oil debate. That's all I have ever used on my bikes, never an issue.

I'm running 20hrs on Amsoil (cheap buy locally) in the desert high heat and when I drain it i can still see through it and no smell. Could go 30 hrs, but old habits of changing often are hard to break. I don't race it, but I wind the crap out if it every ride.

Oil changes should be based on hours & dust.

30 street/clean hours or 3 offroad/choking dust hours......and where ever in between for your riding environment. 

Typically every 12 hours for me.

Oh, and riding with a very dirty air filter means you are riding rich (less hp) ...since the A/F mixture will not adjust more than 10% via the ECU..,...unless you re-set it 

Oil changes should be based on hours & dust.

30 street/clean hours or 3 offroad/choking dust hours......and where ever in between for your riding environment. 

Typically every 12 hours for me.

Oh, and riding with a very dirty air filter means you are riding rich (less hp) ...since the A/F mixture will not adjust more than 10% via the ECU..,...unless you re-set it

Would you elaborate on the last part please.

The FI system compensates based on a 'base' reading by the sensors: air pressure and temp.

If you start the bike and twist the throttle, the FI / ECU  will not re-adjust to your current condtions; it will only compensate +/- 10% from your current baseline.

So, if the last time you rode the bike and re-set the baseline, and it was raining at 10,000 feet, you bike will not compensate for riding in a dry desert.....because you have not reset your baseline.

If you start the motor, get it HOT, shut it off, wait 1 minute, restart with no throttle, and let it idle for a couple of min, the FI system will re -calibrate to your current conditions, changing your baseline.

The FI system will not fully compensate on the fly. It can't.

This is what the Keihin rep told me to do in 2012 with my 500XCW. 

I cannot find any documentation to back this up, only more heresay.... 

Edited by Kah Ran Nee

Every 3 hours? on a non-pro non-pro raced stock motor? Sounds a little too soon for me. All i ride is 100 degree desert dust and my target is 20. If I'm at 15 hours (usually two rides) and heading out I'll change at 15. If the ride is longer and takes me past 20, I change it when I return. I always run my finger under the oil when it drains and you can still see though it at 15hrs easy with Amsoil. I'm all about preventive maint, but for the trail banger (probably closer to your 12 for him) and desert rider 3 hrs is too much imo. At that rate on most of my rides I'd have to change the oil 2-3 times before I got home on my dusty rides.

Edited by oldfuddy

Friend had a 2015 EXC 500 on desert travel. We did 1400 miles w/o oil change on all 4 bikes. Regular practice for cross country riding. The bike was almost new at the time. They put some strange info in KTM manuals, most is good, but oil change input here is more realistic.