Sign in to follow this  

Start.clutch loctite fix-Cross pattern? Opinions?

Hi fellow TT' ers.

Sorry for a noob post, 

Did loctite fix for the starter clutch hex bolts following post in the TT FAQ, however somehow I missed the part "do one at a time". 

What I did was, loosened all bolts, took them all out except one which I left there finger tight, then put red loctite on the opposite side bolt and tightened it to somewhere between 120 an 144 inch pounds. ( I used new 12.9 grade bolts). Then tightened all bolts to the same torque in a cross pattern but in one pass each. :banghead:

After done I started thinking I should have either done one bolt at a time or do them in a cross pattern, tightening them in several passes to the final torque.

Now it just keeps bugging me, should I do them all over with new bolts -could I have possibly over tensioned the bolts by not doing  one at a time? :confused:

Thanks for any opinions.

• Like 1

No difference.. one at a time or all at once..

So long as they were removed, degreased, the oil in the threaded hole degreased, fastener installed with a drop of thread lock and torqued correctly.. all is well

• Like 2

A big thanks for the answer and confirmation!

I feel much better now,  I just hate it when I make a mistake (which happens sometimes when doing fixes for the firs time)

I will not take it apart it then, would be a PITA with the red loc-tite already there.. (2701 is a strong one)

Rabbit - There are good reasons for following instructions and for tightening bolts in a specific pattern. In the case of the starter clutch, it is what might be called a "hard" joint.  No soft material like gaskets to compress.  Steel to steel components.  I agree with EM, you are fine. But, that is just this case.  There are certainly other assemblies where you might be in trouble for not tightening bolts in a specific pattern.  Good shop practice is to tighten bolts in a criss cross star pattern even if not specifically called out. 

• Like 1

Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for as well -  a hard joint, no gaskets, bolts close to each other. I generally follow the cross pattern, just forgot about it in this case somehow - I guess I was just too busy paying attention to the correct torque while  holding the shaft with a wrench with one hand plus holding  the torque wrench in the other, supporting the center of it with my knee..-)

Anyways, thanks for the help, now moving on to the primary gear nut and counterbalancer nut fix.