Sign in to follow this  

What cost less? Yz or ktm

Hello I was gunna get either the 2008 ktm85sx or the 2010 yz85. But u don't know the differences between the bikes enough to pick one? Which bike cost less to maintain? And also Wich bike needs to have maintenance done more often?

I'm 5,2 100lbs and 14 yrs old. Thanks

I know i will do the Same maintenance on each bike but is the ktm more expensive like lots of people say it is than the yz and is it more reliable?

I've ridden a ktm 85 for the past 4 years and NEVER had a failure or DNF. As long as you maintain it properly (air filter; gearbox oil; clean carb regularly etc.) then it's as reliable as any bike. People base reliability on how long you can beat the crap out of it and leave it- but then complain its a bad bike. I've never ridden a yz85 but in shoot outs it's normally last due to old technology. They seem bulletproof the way I've seen people beat on their yz, but then it runs like a turd when they've left it unmaintained-like any bike.

The only thing you should really worry about is finding the best shape, best looked after bike in your price range. Take what you can afford and search for that. Forget dumb things like having a fancy pipe on it and just look at the bike. Look at things like the clutch covers to see wear marks, sides of the frame ect. Things like that give away how many hours are really on a bike. Ask the owner questions like when the last time it was rebuilt, how often they changed the oil ect and don't skip over little things like sprockets, break pads, fork seals and tires. Little things can add up too. 

I find it fairly easy to read a seller from my experience with buying things. If they seem to have a good idea of what they're talking about, maybe they do. Don't fall for that craigslist "FRESH REBUILD" crap though. If it was freshly rebuilt, they should have receipts. Also, a piston and rings isn't a big deal iMO, it's general maintenance to fix these things I never understood why people got so excited to add that in the ad.

But yeah, good luck finding a bike. 85's are a blast to ride. I had a lot of great memories aboard my little YZ as a kid. One of our riding buddies is a small guy (5'4, 120ish) but he is a really skilled rider and aboard that 85, he has no problems keeping up with us. They're a great bike if you find one that was well looked after and continue to care for it by changing the oil, filters, doing a piston and rings when it needs to be and looking after it it will run forever. 

I know you want a bike fast but take your time and find a good one. I've bought a few things in my life that I should have avoided just because I was so eager to buy something.

The difference between brand reliability is literally next to nothing. The biggest factor is how well the bike was looked after before you get it. KTM's come with a little more high end options like a hydraulic clutch (easier, smoother pull) and what not but in the end, if it's between an okay shape KTM and a really clean KX85, get the cleaner bike. Broaden your search too, there's no real lemons of bikes just buy the one that's the most well looked after and don't worry about it. Your in for a blast soon. 

• Like 1

Yz looks a bit cleaner personally. The yz has looks worn on the pipe and that's a strange place to wear. The frame on the ktm looks worn but probably isn't. My ktm frame looks like that after 1/2 a season if riding so the paint wears through on the frame easily but nothing to worry about. A couple if goodies in the 85 that are nice; as does the yz.

Edited by KTMjake22

They both look clean, you'd have to go see them in person and talk to the seller and see some receipts and what not.

Some people say stay away from bikes that were raced before but me personally, I prefer them. My logic is that you're not going to take a worn out, neglected bike to the track and run it with any seriousness. Any serious racer is going to have a bike that is very well kept up, everything looked over and often tore down way more then needed.

You aren't going to show up at the track with half compression, an oil leak and bad fork seals that's for sure. If you spend the money, take the day off work and care at all your bike is going to be ready to race and in 99% of cases, they are. Hell, I used to get tires off some of these guys they'd run for one race and take off still at 85% tread for $10. 

I say it's time to go visit these owners, talk to them, bring money and talk price. See what you can get, if you go to look one and the owner seems like a legit guy, has some proof it was rebuilt and you like the bike just take it. 

Edited by leafsrule16

Ya I usually would Say the same thing if prefer race bikes there usually better taken care of. But ya I think I'm gunna go take a look at all three bikes and check everything out or ride them if they let me? Does one of the bike stand out in over all condition you think? The ktm I think needs a top end rebuild soon , the yz looks a bit beat up and the last yz looks the cleanest and most well maintained?