Sign in to follow this  

My 13t experience

Something interesting that was pointed out to me this weekend was the issue that swapping to a smaller 13T front would have on wearing down the rubber chain guard under the swing arm – eventually even digging right into the swing arm itself. He rides the WR250R but said it's a universal issue that many people often don't take into account. Low + behold as soon as I checked the rubber on mine (with the 14T stock sprocket) I could feel where the chain has chewed almost right through the rubber. Does anyone have any input or familiarity regarding this? fyi, my chain slack is bang-on according to model specs. I'm a little hesitant now in throwing on the 13T + then chainsawing right into the swing arm.

I call Hogwash. I have about 1,100 miles on mine and I just walked into garage and checked it. It's fine.

• Like 2

I got 14k/km on mine + the chain has rutted into the plastic. I'm not overly concerned, it was just brought up to me – anyone out there with 10k + on their bike notice anything similar? 

I got 14k/km on mine + the chain has rutted into the plastic. I'm not overly concerned, it was just brought up to me – anyone out there with 10k + on their bike notice anything similar?

Pics?

I call Hogwash. I have about 1,100 miles on mine and I just walked into garage and checked it. It's fine.

It is true that your chain slider on the swing arm will wear out faster with a smaller sprocket up front ... how much faster ... who knows ...  :excuseme:  But, if you think about it ... the chain will make more contact with a smaller sprocket. In my case ... I have a 13/44 combo so .... does the extra height from the rear balance it out some ...  :thinking:

I honestly do not know but do plan on ending up with a 14/48 sprocket combo ....  :prof:

It is true that your chain slider on the swing arm will wear out faster with a smaller sprocket up front ... how much faster ... who knows ... :excuseme: But, if you think about it ... the chain will make more contact with a smaller sprocket. In my case ... I have a 13/44 combo so .... does the extra height from the rear balance it out some ... :thinking:

I honestly do not know but do plan on ending up with a 14/48 sprocket combo .... :prof:

Na, I get it, and it makes sense, but I doubt it make THAT much of a difference. That piece of rubber is a "consumable", designed for such things. Replace as needed, although I've never tried to replace one before, so I may be wrong, and slightly intoxicated at the moment, so who knows haha. Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 4

i have over 11,000 miles with the 13/40 combo...  here is a picture of my slider...  i just bought a new one to put on with my chain and sprocket and tires...

IMG_20140811_223035_883.jpg

• Like 4

It is plastic. How long do you expect it to last?

It's designed to be replaced.

• Like 3

Personally I found the higher gears much more responsive at highway speeds with the 13t, I found the stock 14t gutless and unresponsive at high speeds. IMO the 13t is the best bang for you buck mod for the 250l

• Like 3

Personally I found the higher gears much more responsive at highway speeds with the 13t, I found the stock 14t gutless and unresponsive at high speeds. IMO the 13t is the best bang for you buck mod for the 250l

Thats also what I think and if I never went over 55mph I would leave the 42T on the rear but a little too high RPM's for me so 13/40 combo works for me.

• Like 1

Even when new they have those grooves in them to guide the chain ... also keep an eye on your lower rear slider block in the guide as it is meant as a wear item as well. 

• Like 3

So I hit the trails this weekend... Slapped the 13t on and hit the road. On the way there the road had some pretty sizable hills to go over. On the way up them I noticed a miniscule advantage, but still couldn't maintain 60... On the downside, I would give WOT a go to see how fast it would go: several times I got the same max: 81mph indicated, 70mph actual... Would not do any more no matter if it tucked in or anything. So my highly technical findings are the same as before: if you are bone stock except for the 13t you max out at 70mph.

On the trail things were better than when I was using the 14t. Good low torque pep. Less clutch use than before.

Unfortunately my commute every day requires me to go 65 to 70 so I had to switch back after the ride.

So to close this thread out, if you are stock, the 13t is great if you need to go no more that 65mph for extended periods of time.

All this should be taken with a grain of salt, because unlike many here I find 6th gear really quite responsive in the stock configuration.

• Like 1

What elevations are you riding?

I am in NE Mississippi on the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. My GPS track showed max of 680 down to 312. So pretty low

• Like 1

You need the EJK setting for stock muffler in my sig as per Positron[[second best mod i think--forum discount or veteran given also at Dubeck ind

You got to have some thing not right with your bike to only get 70mph with the 13T.It's a shame these bikes don't have a tack because you should be able to pull 8500 rpm's in 6th easy about 80mph somethings not right

• Like 2

Works tach at the TT store is 40 bucks as i remember easy install and shows max rpm's and hours also?? Ok it runs up a little slow but still works better than none at all i think--and with the 13T if the first two numbers on the tach match the mph you are in 6th gear i find  AKA 6000rpms==60mph or there abouts!!

Works tach at the TT store is 40 bucks as i remember easy install and shows max rpm's and hours also?? Ok it runs up a little slow but still works better than none at all i think--and with the 13T if the first two numbers on the tach match the mph you are in 6th gear i find  AKA 6000rpms==60mph or there abo

I see someone has put up the Gear commander chart that's what I go by.

Edited by motorboy
  • Like 1

You may be thinking of stock gearing 14-40 which would be 60mph at 6000rpm according to Gear Commander 13-40=8500rpm at 77.7 mph and 54.9 at 6000

delete

Edited by motorboy