Sign in to follow this  

TM250 FI 2010 Help

My first ever decent motocross bike was a TM125 and I loved this bike! That was 14 years ago now but ever since I have just had Japanese Motocrossers. But I have just recently got my hands on a TM250 FI and I have a couple of questions on this bike if anyone can help.

1. Is there any difference between the 2010 & 2011 models? Or the 2010 & 2014 models for that matter?

2. This bike has a switch for changing between map 1 & 2. What is the difference and can it be changed while ridding the bike or does it have to be done while stopped or the engine is off?

3. This is the biggest one for me (I have even thought of changing it for a Honda again because of this!), but is there any easier way of starting this bike? Sometimes it will start no problem but most times it is a nightmare. I always use the choke, never give it gas and always start from TDC giving it a full kick all the way to the bottom, but regularly have to end up push/jump starting! I have also increased the idle but this doesn't seem to help. This can happen when the bike is either hot or cold, but when hot it's an even worst nightmare. Jump starting when hot is not easy either...!

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Cheers,

Glenn

Like any modern 4t, you must check valve clearances and valve/valve seat condition. 

You dont mention when last the bike has had valve clearances checked, but this is by far the most common fault.

It might be time to replace piston/rings as well.

First check and adjust valve clearances.

Check compression afterwards. (Hot and cold)

Next step based on findings.

Thanks for the reply bproofrsa,

I can't say when the last time the valves were checked as the previous owner never advised. This is not something I have experience with so I will look into having the valves checked and adjusted if required. I'll then check compression and if required have the piston/rings replaced.

I'll post back whenever I get this done.

Do you have any ideas regarding my other Q's on the mapping etc.?

Cheers...

The maps you can change on the go.

From the manual:

Map 1 is activated by selecting a map that makes the engine response
more aggressive.
Map 2 is activated by selecting a map that makes the engine response
more progressive.

Thanks for the article, I had read this, this is why I was asking if there was any difference with the 2010 & 2011 models as this article is on a 2011 model and mine is a 2010.

On the maps, you mention that Map 1 is more aggressive and Map 2 is more progressive, however in that article they say Map 1 is slower revving and less responsive, this sort of contradicts what the manual says, do you agree?

Cheers...