New to me 1992 XR600 need general advice

I am picking up a 1992 XR600 tomorrow and was looking on advice on a couple of things. The bike is in fantastic shape and going to be a welcomed change from my CR500. 

First what is the factory spring rated for and will I need to replace it. I am 270 lbs

Next what tires are recommended? riding will be a 50/50 split between asphalt and trail riding in the mountains of PA.

Are there any mods that you XR guys do when you get a new bike that I should consider

Thanks in advance

Nice choice. You will love the much more linear power over that CR. The heavier weight is an advantage for traction too IMO. They are sprung for about 160# from the factory, so it WILL be too soft for you. Look through the FAQ's, but I'd say set that suspension up for your weight,  a decent pipe with jetting mods, make sure the air box is opened up and worry about the rest later. Cant comment on the dual sport tires....

I am also new to the 600 crowd.  Just bought a low hours 2000 600R 2 months ago.  I asked the same questions.  I can't speak from experience but the thing I was told most consistently was replace the choke plate.  So I did.  Seems they come apart sometimes and end up in places they don't belong doing serious engine damage.  Can get them from XR's Only for $25.   I weigh 280 and intend on trail riding and dual sports.  Have a 200 miler 1st week of Sept.  Looking at suspension change also.  If you find the hot set up let me know.  I had a 400 a couple of years ago that was re-valved and resprung by Pro Action.  The suspension was amazing.  Wish I had that one back.

Welcome to the BRP club. 

I've got a 1996 600R and have had good luck with the Pirelli rally cross MT-21's. I think it's like a 20/80 DOT knobby so pavement handling is a little squirrely at high speed, but they wear really well and hook up well off road. You'll find your pig will eat up the cheaper rear dual sport tires pretty fast. Kendas work OK too, but are shredded before you know it.  

I recently sent my forks and rear shock off to pro action service and re-valving for my weight. Pro action has different locations all over. My guy was in the Tampa area and did a great job of the work.  It was less than $400 bucks and made a huge difference. Well worth the money and the trouble. Gave me and excuse to change all the swing arm and linkage bearings as well. The bike also has a white brothers tunable (supertrapp style) exhaust on it now.

Have heard of the choke plate thing and sounds like 25 bucks well spent.  Enjoy your new to you XR. They are great bikes.

SOG

I checked out Pro Action and it turns out they are less than a hour from me so that makes the suspension upgrade a no brainer.

While I was looking for the choke plate on XR'S only I noticed they have a nice exhaust system. Would this be a good choice to upgrade the factory exhaust.

Well I got about 30 miles on the 600 tonight. The bike ran like a top nice smooth power very easy to ride I can honestly say it is nowhere near my 500 when it comes to an instant adrenaline rush when you Crack the gas but it is a welcome change. There is one thing I noticed, the speedometer starts bouncing all over the place once I get above 40 mph. Is this a common problem and where should I look first.

I just went thru a bunch of speedo stuff. IT would be a good idea to unscrew cable from head & put a few drops of oil on cable. Then remove from wheel end & see how easily it turns. Mine was stiff & after a few days of oiling, it works real easy. Also take wheel off, & gear head, disassembles & clean out all the gook. relube & reassemble. I couldn't believe how caked up mine was. So bad it would' & bent the to tabs that lock into the gearhead-to-wheel.

I took my choke plate out a few years ago, didn't replace it with anything. Still starts just fine. If it sits for a while I just put a lean on the machine for a few seconds then bring it TDC and it fires up first time. It's a comfort knowing the spring and plate are no longer a risk at high revs.

Edited by SmackDab

I ordered a new choke plate from XR'S only it should be here in a couple of days. I was going to wait until winter for the suspension but it bottomed out a couple of times on the road so I think the suspension needs to be beefed up sooner rather than later