PO says he rejetted bike

I purchased a 2006 drz400s. He told me it has a JD jet kit. He give me a box with some extra jets in it.

I don't know anything about jetting so hopefully someone can help.

It pops like a machine gun on decel.

The idle seems low and it randomly cuts off sometimes but starts right back up easily.

I'm at sea level.

It has 3x3 mod, slip on fmf.

The jets or whatever that are still in the package (not being used) is a "160" "1425" "145" "155" and a couple of screw looking things. (See pics)

So what's in my carb? Does any jets need to be swapped out?

Does it have extended fuel screw?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407162981.837613.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407163016.989565.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407163062.778366.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407163088.412402.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407163115.783343.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407163137.399798.jpg

Did the PO live at sea level?

We can't tell you what jets the carb has in it. And we can't tell you if it has an extended fuel screw in it because you didn't include a picture of the carb. None of the fuel screws in your pictures are extended screws.

To fix the popping on decel, first, turn the fuel screw all the way in til it lightly bottoms, counting the number of turns as you go. You want to know how far out it was to begin with before adjusting it. Then turn it back out to where it was, and from there, turn it out counter clockwise 1/4 turn at a time between test rides to see if it gets any better. Come out no more than a total of 3 full turns. If you get that far and the popping still doesn't clear up, either the fuel screw passage is dirty and needs cleaning or you need to install the next size larger pilot jet.

Did the PO live at sea level?

We can't tell you what jets the carb has in it. And we can't tell you if it has an extended fuel screw in it because you didn't include a picture of the carb. None of the fuel screws in your pictures are extended screws.

To fix the popping on decel, first, turn the fuel screw all the way in til it lightly bottoms, counting the number of turns as you go. You want to know how far out it was to begin with before adjusting it. Then turn it back out to where it was, and from there, turn it out counter clockwise 1/4 turn at a time between test rides to see if it gets any better. Come out no more than a total of 3 full turns. If you get that far and the popping still doesn't clear up, either the fuel screw passage is dirty and needs cleaning or you need to install the next size larger pilot jet.

Here's pic of carb. I think it has extended fuel screw but not sure. For some reason it's very oily.

He lived in the mountains of tocca GA. I live at the beach so I'm sea level. I know nothing about carburetors.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407167151.717303.jpg

its been backfiring for a while if it caused that kind of buildup on the carb hahahah

Really? Backfire causes that oily buildup?

I turned it all the way in then 2.5 turns out. No more backfire but it idles kinda high now :/

Really? Backfire causes that oily buildup?

I turned it all the way in then 2.5 turns out. No more backfire but it idles kinda high now :/

The loose boot clamp (probably an air leak causing your lean issue) would allow whatever's coming back with the backfire to deposit around the carb like that

Everything's fixed guys. Thanks.

Can you tell me what it was Jremmee? Funny I'm in the EXACT same boat here. Just bought the bike, a 2007 SM and have the same issue except my carb is not dirty like yours.

Also my the white knob (idle adjuster?) is turned all the way in as far as it will go. Looks like PO was trying to get it to idle higher so it doesn't stall without choke. He told me it needs to warm up for a very long time before you can push the choke back in, which doesn't sound right, especially here in Florida.

Also bike only has 1600 or so miles on it, and PO used a Dynojet kit, not the JD like yours, and I know that the 155 is in there.

Looking for suggestions on what to try first... issues are:

1) Won't idle without choke

2) Pops loudly on deceleration

3) Idle adjustment knob at max

Going to go look for a service manual now.

Thanks

• Like 1

Can you tell me what it was Jremmee? Funny I'm in the EXACT same boat here. Just bought the bike, a 2007 SM and have the same issue except my carb is not dirty like yours.

Also my the white knob (idle adjuster?) is turned all the way in as far as it will go. Looks like PO was trying to get it to idle higher so it doesn't stall without choke. He told me it needs to warm up for a very long time before you can push the choke back in, which doesn't sound right, especially here in Florida.

Also bike only has 1600 or so miles on it, and PO used a Dynojet kit, not the JD like yours, and I know that the 155 is in there.

Thanks

Does your bike have the extended fuel screw? If so turn it all the way finger tight then back it out 2.5 turns. Then adjust your idle with the white knob. Don't be afraid to turn that white knob I had to turn it like 5 rotations to get my idle to lower down

Mine doesn't have the extended fuel screw. That white knob is turned all the way in to it's stops, won't go any further. Mine won't idle without the choke on.

Seems like you have another issue. Maybe someone else will chime in soon. But I'd definitely invest in a $15 extended fuel screw

Thanks

Pull the carb and clean pilot jet circuit. Purchase a R&D remote fuel screw . Find the sticky in this forum for mixture adjustment.