4x4 vs 4x2

Yes. You need 4x4 to go pretty much anywhere with mud so unless you want certain trails and riding areas to be unavailable to you, then yeah, pretty much.

I owned sport quads, they're fun but you can't take them anywhere. You have to decide for yourself if playing in the same pit all the time is fun or if going long distances in the trails is more your thing. 

• Like 3

Yes. You need 4x4 to go pretty much anywhere with mud so unless you want certain trails and riding areas to be unavailable to you, then yeah, pretty much.

I owned sport quads, they're fun but you can't take them anywhere. You have to decide for yourself if playing in the same pit all the time is fun or if going long distances in the trails is more your thing.

Not quite, I have a trailblazer 250 with the meatiest v-tread I've ever seen in the rears. I've taken it through mud other quads wouldn't think of

• 1 month later...

If you are mainly a person who rides in the sand, 4x4 is useless. If you ride in the dirt, 4x4 is a nice feature, but not necessary. A good ATV rider will be able to go anywhere on a 4x2 that a 4x4 can go just by positioning your body weight properly. Another thing to consider is a 4x4 quad is going to weigh 50 to 100 pounds more than a 4x2 quad. That extra weight is not fun to mess with if your ATV decides to flip on you or trying to maneuver around in tight trails.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are mainly a person who rides in the sand, 4x4 is useless. If you ride in the dirt, 4x4 is a nice feature, but not necessary. A good ATV rider will be able to go anywhere on a 4x2 that a 4x4 can go just by positioning your body weight properly. Another thing to consider is a 4x4 quad is going to weigh 50 to 100 pounds more than a 4x2 quad. That extra weight is not fun to mess with if your ATV decides to flip on you or trying to maneuver around in tight trails.

i agree with what zotis 777 said he is happy with the way his 4x2 is setup so he doesn't feel the need for 4x4. A 4x2 can go some crazy places especially with meaty tires. But to say a good atv rider on a 4x2 can go any place a 4x4 can go is just not true there are situations where a 4x4 is going to have a advantage and not get stuck when 4x2 would I don't care where you put your weight.

If I had a dollor every time a sport quad said he could go anywhere I can go with my 4x4 quad it puts a smile on my face as I don't care who u are u can't go every where 4x4 quads go.

I'm not saying my 4x2 will go anywhere a 4x4 will, simply that I haven't got my 4x2 stuck yet, and it's working for me

All I was saying was the areas where we go a 2 wheel drive don't cut it that's why I got rid if the raptor and bought a rincon 650. Plus this way I can pack enough stuff if I needed to I can stay in the bush for a night. U got to ask yourself where most of your riding will be and are u in a place where u get 4 seasons and plan to ride in all of them that's all

• Like 2

I don't care what anyone wants to believe 4x4 anything will go places 4x2 can't. That being said we sure had a lot of fun on4x2 quads before 4x4 quads were a thing. One thing to consider is putting a winch on your 4x2

• Like 2

This question really depends on what your doing. 4x4 is very handy if you are going in really rough terrain and climbing rocks and big hills and going through deep mud or water, or using your atv as a work horse.  

Most 4x2 will go where a 4x4 can the 4x4 just makes it much easier, So I'd say it's not nessicary.. like I said just depends where you ride and what your doing with your atv.

• 5 weeks later...

I am looking at some now and mainly would ride in North Florida.  If a 2 wheel drive has a nice winch wouldn't that be the great back up plan??   I would NOT go thru flooded swamp anyway,  however if I took it North to like Tennessee hopefully it would climb hilly terrain?

I was looking @ a

Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax 4x2  w/ winch

Edited by savedzrex

Yes a winch will definitely be a life saver. It may not get you out of every single situation but if you get stuck and can't recover yourself with a winch then you pro my would have just been more stuck had you been in 4wd