<Insert Generic Stroker BB Thread Here>

To start with I want to mention I am a complete novice at mechanics, so try not to baffle me too much..

Given that my DRZ is currently being rebuilt after the crank bearings failed, ive had more than enough time to overthink and confuse myself on the mods I have lined up for her.

The plan is to whack a +4 Hot Rods Stroker into an Athena 440cc BB with the E base gasket and stage 2 HotCams (Actually the stage 1 from what ive read.)

While browsing the TT forums I came across a thread with someone who had near enough the exact same build but found his head gasket kept blowing. It was mentioned in the thread that the hotcams weren't up to the task of letting enough flow through due to their duration. Whether this is fact or not I am unsure as the gasket then blew again when he replaced them with the RHC's.

I would like to know:

Is the Hot Rods Stroker piston compatible with the Athena BB sleeve/cylinder

Would there be any clearance issues when using a +4 stroker with an e base gasket (I've heard of people using a spacer?)

Does anyone have any experience of using the hotcams and stroker with a 41mm carb, and have you run into any issues?

I'm wanting the build to still be reliable and if it means dropping the e gasket for the sm standard then im happy doing so

Any help is appreciated

No issues with Athena bb and stroker crank

Use of a spacer plate is used with the 5mm stroker crank( no longer available from hotcams)

If you plan on using hotcams then use the s model base gasket and a lower compression piston

No issues with using a 41mm fcr carb

• Like 4

No issues with Athena bb and stroker crank

Use of a spacer plate is used with the 5mm stroker crank( no longer available from hotcams)

If you plan on using hotcams then use the s model base gasket and a lower compression piston

No issues with using a 41mm fcr carb

Thanks Mickey, are you saying the standard piston that comes with the stroker is too high compression? how do i know which lower compression pistons are suitable for the stroker?

Its not the compression ratio that is the problem. Its the Cylinder Pressure that will blow the head gasket. The RHC's are designed to vent some of that pressure that a stroker will generate.

• Like 1

What the guys mean is the cams don't keep the valves open long enough and eventually too much pressure builds up and something has to give and usually it's the head gasket. RHC cams and other performance cams are designed to keep the valves opened further and longer to allow all of the gasses to escape.

• Like 1

Hmm alright. Is there anything I can do to keep the stroker with the hotcams?

I've already bought the hotcams so I guess ill just drop the specs and use a 39mm carb and a standard hot rods crank if nothing can be done

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by Stokes.

Hmm alright. Is there anything I can do to keep the stroker with the hotcams?

I've already bought the hotcams so I guess ill just drop the specs and use a 39mm carb and a standard hot rods crank if nothing can be done

Thanks for the help guys

You can run the Hotcams if you lower the compression, but to me that wood be taking a backward step in performance....

The increase in swept cylinder volume requires cams with more duration to assist engine gas flow...using hotcams will usually result in pushing head gaskets

Research prior to starting any project is paramount..but I guess you have worked that out by now....

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

I have this setup : stroker(+4), BBkit, intake hotcam old stage1(new stage2),  exhaust stock cam, fcr39 and stock exhaust.

I have blown a head gasket even with the stock S/SM base gasket.

I went with a 4 layer base gasket and been good since.( a new 3 layer(S/SM) gasket to which I had the old middle layer)

It's not a high rev engine since it goes out of breath in the top end(restrictive exhaust), but it has plenty of low end torque!

It work good and I use my bike every day to comute to work., plsu some rare weekend ride or a couple of offroad/enduro riding day during the year.

Edited by maxpat82

I think i'll just stick to a non stroked motor. As much as id love to have the extra power of a stroker and a bigger carb i can't be arsed with endless engine issues.. or i might aswell get a 2T!!

maybe if i run into some money or sell my current DRZ and get another ill think about buying the correct cams but paying 20% on every item i import from america is too damn expensive ?

I think i'll just stick to a non stroked motor. As much as id love to have the extra power of a stroker and a bigger carb i can't be arsed with endless engine issues.. or i might aswell get a 2T!!

maybe if i run into some money or sell my current DRZ and get another ill think about buying the correct cams but paying 20% on every item i import from america is too damn expensive ?

I feel for you mate...You guys are getting ripped off something chronic by the legal crooks that called themselves "the government"

• Like 1