Sign in to follow this  

I can't decide if I should use Kouba Links to lower my 2009 KLX 250S

Hi everyone,

I am 5' 6" and interested in lowering my bike. I have read that it can change the geometry and handling of the bike- which I really don't want as I do a lot of off-road riding. I can ride this bike no problem off-road at stock height, but I am in the midst of taking my road test and I am afraid of looking like an idiot especially if I have to try and back into a parking stall for example. In my slow handling test I used my tippy toes to push the bike forward, so the bike's turning radius could be measured - longest 30 seconds of my life! I have already put an after market seat on it which gave me close to an inch. I am thinking the best way to go is the kouba link set KLX 2 0.75" which would drop my 2009 KLX by 0.5", since the front can only be dropped by 0.5" OR should I not bother?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

20140416_201456.jpg

Edited by dualsportmonkey

I've tried a Devol lowering link and had them do internal work to shorten the front fork travel a bit as well for MX. I personally wouldn't waste my money on a lowering link again. I can accomplish more for a lot less $$ by shaving the seat. I have an 11 KTM 350 SX-F and shaved it into a step seat. Worked great!

• Like 1

DSM, we lowered the wifes 2013 seat(yes...all by our little selves!!) at total of 1.75" and she says it's way more comfortable now. There are vids on youtube on how to do it you just need a bit of patience, a cutter, palm sander, hand-squeeze stapler, etc. It looks pro. I also added adjustable lower links and dropped the rear 1"....and pulled the forks up 1.125" in the triple clamps. Wife is 5'2" and can flatfoot with her 140# on the saddle. If you want to lower it just temporarily there is the short-term method of pulling the forks up (we needed bar risers as well)and softening the pre-load on the rear shock method as well.

• Like 1

I put Kouba links (KLX2)on my 300 recently and liked the way it changed my bikes performance. Straight line stability and tracking were improved and the inch I picked up on seat height helped a bunch.

• Like 1

I put Kouba links on my wifes 06 and I had to get longer bolts because there wasn't enough shoulder on the stock bolts. The Kouba links were much thicker (aluminum) than the stock (steel) links. I contacted Kouba and they couldn't understand what I was telling them.

I raised the forks up also which required the bars to be raised.

Thanks for the posts everyone. I did my motorcycle test today and passed. I didn't bother lowering the bike. My only struggle during the test was reverse stall parking....but I did it. No more road tests for me until I'm 80. Cheers!