Sign in to follow this  

1995 KLX 250R Need to set up for street use...HELP!

Hi, I'm going to add lights and tires to my 1995 KLX 250R.  I've seen the Tusk kits and Baja designs but they are a bit more $ then I want to spend.  I was looking at Amazon and Ebay and I think I can add blinkers, horn, universal switch and a license plate light for less then $100.  My bike already has a headlight and brake light but no battery.  I guess the stator supplies the electricity?  If I add blinkers and a tail/license plate light will everything still light?  Mechanically inclined but clueless when it comes to electrical.  I don't really even need blinkers to make it legal but I thought it would be safer.  I'm not even sure what voltage the headlight and brake light are. 

Also, i'm looking to get some dual sport tires that arent too expensive.  Be taking short back road trips with this bike.  Any suggestions on tires?

Thanks!

Are you intending to put this bike through a Dept. of Motor Vehicles inspection in order to get it registered for street use?

I don't know a lot. But my '99 KLX300 has a Baja designs kit on it. It came this way partially wired. I just had to finish up. First the rectifier/regulator is different. Can't remember which but it needs to change ac to dc or dc to ac. The head light is not bright enough. I need to get an upgraded bulb. Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

You'll want a bright headlight. Here in VA I have to pass an annual inspection and I must have a DOT headlight with high and low beams. I don't like their switches. I have switches from highwaydirtbikes.com and I love them. Also no turn signals. I use hand signals which can be a pain when clutching and coming to a stop etc, however I'm pretty sure people could hardly see my stupid Chinese LED blinkers and I was constantly breaking them off. People see your arm sticking out.

Also for mirrors I made some some custom mounts.

Here is my build thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1032789-New-to-me-KLX300R-DS

Also you'll want to do something with your gearing. I'm at 15/45 top cruising speed really is 60. Kinda wish I had gone 15/43

Edited by hadfield4wd

when I did my XR250, the head brake and tail light were ran off the stock stator. The bulb on the rear was an 1157 led conversion bulb to save watts. The horn, and signal lights which were hardly ever used were powered by a 12v battery I had fastened in the tool pouch. Running all lights off of the stator will not work, as you only have so many watts to work with. You can upgrade the stator for more watts which will work. With the stock stator powering your headlight, you will have no problems riding after dark in town, but out of town and away from street lights, no.

Ok, I had a chance to work on my 1995 KLX250 today.  I got all the lights and the horn working.  The only thing thats stumping me is the Tusk brake pressure switch.  It came with no instructions.  My plan is to repurpose the rear tail light on my bike to a brake light.  I replaced the original banjo bolt on my rear brake with the Tusk brake pressure switch. It has two wires.  I basically connect one of the wires to the ground on the rear tail light then both wires to the ground on the battery, and the other wire to the red lead on the tail light and both wires to the red lead on the battery.  With this configuration the rear light is always illuminated and when I depress the rear brake lever the light goes off????  It seems to be working backwards.  I assumed the light would be off and when I depress the brake lever it would go on.....UGH!

Any suggestions? I've tried every configuration of wiring including running the brake (tail) light off the stator.  Same thing...Light is always on.  Depress the brake lever and the light goes off.

One thing that might be important.  I'm using the original NON LED tail light. 

Hooked up the speedometer I got from Amazon (B00LVQA250) and realized there is something wrong with the original cable. 

AGPtek® Universal Motorcycle Dual Odometer Speedometer Gauge LED Backlight Signal Light 

My 1995 KLX250R had a trip meter originally.  The cable was a perfect fit for the above speedo, however, the cable is not spinning.  I pulled the cable out of the sleeve and it seems to be in good shape.  There must be something wrong at the axle.  Does anyone have any experience with taking apart the hub on the axle where the cable enters?

speedo.jpg

Edited by petes914