2012 yz250f troubles

Here's what happened. I was riding home from a friends house at about fourty miles an hour for around thirty seconds. When I got back to the house and put the bike in neutral I noticed a sound that sounded almost like a loose bolt rattling. When you give the bike gas it gets really loud. It sounds almost like some sort of chain is loose. I do not know where to start to find my problem so any advice on what to do or what it might be would be helpful. Thanks

First thing I would check is the cam chain tensioner. When they fail the cam chain can jump a tooth on the cam drive and cause big expensive problems.

I'm not that familiar with the device on these bikes but since you said it sounded like a "loose chain" it certainly could be.

A cherry red exhaust while sitting on the stand is normal. You need to have air blowing across the radiator and the engine if it's sitting still for any length of time.

FYI, lots of information on this forum. Search chain slap, cam chain tensioner, cam chain. Compare your symptoms to what's on the is forum

Working on this bike is pretty simple. Get this bikes manual, read it, and buy about $250 worth of Harbor freight tools and you can wrench on this bike.

• Like 1

take off the rocker cover and have a look at the cam caps and make sure nothing is broken and all 6 bolts on the intake and 4 bolts on the exhaust caps are tights (10nm as per manual), check the tension on the timing chain also when you are there, make sure there is no slack or minimal movement, have you got the valve clearance checked recently?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got time to take it apart and look at it. It was way out of time and the cam chain was loose. I put it back in time and manually adjusted the cam chain and it tightened up very good. Could my problem have come from the acct going bad and letting it jump a tooth and go out of time