Sign in to follow this  

Bike starts easily with kick start but not with electric start?

I have a 2013 350 exc-f that starts right up (cold or hot) with the kick starter but the e-starter cranks and cranks but the bike won't get going...  I don't think it's valve related since the kick start has no issues.  Could it be a weak battery or issues with my starter?  I thought about replacing the battery or bringing it in to a shop to have it tested.  Any ideas?  Is this common?

In my experience it's usually the fact it will start with the kick start & not E-Start that indicates it's time to check valve clearances. Mine was the same & then had the clearances done & starts easy now on E-Start.

2013 KTM 500-EXC & 2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

I agree with checking the valves but would bet it is the battery. Still using the original battery? Get a load test done on it. That will tell you. Also go thru and clean all the able ends real well. Dirty connections create resistance and make the battery and charging system work harder.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt out of spec valves make it difficult to kickstart as well? That's what I have noticed on previous bikes. I have the same issue and it is not the valves. I just checked the valves 5 hours ago and they are fine. I am leaning towards a weak battery. I can get it to start cold no problem with e start. When warm I have to cycle the fuel pump switch 2 times. Kick start works every time. 

Edited by Redwood650

I'm going to try replacing the stock battery first and see if that solves the issue. From what I read, it sounds like the OEM battery has issues. I did notice that the bike started right up with e-start (cold) after reinstalling the gas tank and while conected to the battery tender.

i'd also bet on the battery.

KTM e-starters seem to just barely turn engine over fast enough to start with a completely health battery. if the battery is down much at all, the starter will still turn it over, but not fast enough for it to fire up--especially if the engine is cold.

a good kick spins the engine over faster than the e-starter.

• Like 1

When you kick it, it usually spins a tiny bit faster, so you over come the auto-decompression system more quickly, making it start 'better'. 

A good (Li ion) battery usually solves this, but intake clearances should be checked anyway.

I had the same issue on my 520, I had a loose battery connection! Used that battery for the rest of that season.

When you kick it, it usually spins a tiny bit faster, so you over come the auto-decompression system more quickly, making it start 'better'. 

A good (Li ion) battery usually solves this, but intake clearances should be checked anyway.

Happened to a new 350 rider on the ADV trip. Engine was running on the decomp with e-start. I kickstarted, and it fired, shutting off the decomp. Thinking back... I wonder if the idle was set too low

• Like 1

So I replaced the battery with a new shorai lithium iron, fully charged it with my battery tender and gave the e-start a go.  Didn't want to start right away but eventually started up, could be the fact that I had the tank off and it took a moment for the fuel to get into the efi properly?  Killed the engine, let it sit for 5 minutes, went back and it fired right up with the first push of the e-start.  Rode it around the block, killed the engine, hit the e-start and it started up after two cycles.  Let it sit for an hour and tested it again, wouldn't start with the e-start  :banghead:  Dreading the fact that it could be the valves on a 2013 bike.  

I read that the idle could be off if the engine has a hard time starting, I adjusted the idle screw 2-3 turns counter clockwise and voila, it started right up! Problem solved, or so I thought. Let the bike sit again for 1 hr, hit the e-start with choke pulled out (on) and nothing, just cranks and cranks  :banghead:  Five minutes later, starts right up??  This morning, tested it again, cranked for a bit with choke out and then started, killed it, tried again and started right up...

I'm going on a long ride this weekend and will report back if I still have issues.

When it doesn't start with electric, turn the kill switch off, then back on and once the fuel pump stops priming try and start it. Let me know if it starts. I've been dealing with this issue and I find that if I do what I mentioned, it starts up second try.