Sign in to follow this  

2014 KTM 250 SX Faulty Radiator Cap?

Hey, sorry if there is already a thread on this but I didn't see it. 

I've had my 2014 KTM 250sx for less than a month. I've ridden it about 3 times now. Before the first ride I checked the coolant level and it was good but I just checked it after my 3rd ride day and found that I had to add almost 2 small water bottles to even see any fluid!! 

I started it up again and the coolant was just flowing from the overflow tube... I figure its a bad cap and I've got one coming in the mail to replace it.

Anyone else had this issue?? 

That's the last thing i need... blow up the bike the 4th ride out because it didn't have any coolant...

I have been riding water cooled KTMs since the first water cooled 250 (1983). I have had two caps go bad on me. The first one was on my 2001 250sx. It happened after about two months. The other was on my son's 2007 85sx. It went bad after 4 years. So it does happen but not very often. Both times I just got a new cap and never had a problem again.

Because your bike is so new I would bet that the shop you bought it from will give you a new cap.

I had the same thing happen.  I checked the coolant level the night before a ride.  That morning, fired the bike up and it starts spewing coolant out the overflow!  WTF!  Bike was still stone cold.  I can only guess it has something to do with the pressure change and me introducing some air into the system the night before.  I seriously have no idea.  The level was fine, I added a couple ounces of water to top it off and rode without issues that day.  Haven't had an issue since.  13 hours on the bike.  Probably had 6 hours at the time this happened. (2014 KTM250xc)

never had a cap go bad but im sure it could happen. if there was a issue with the oring im pretty sure it would pull water in the cylinder and run alittle odd. youll find out soon enough when the new cap arrives

Hey, sorry if there is already a thread on this but I didn't see it. 

I've had my 2014 KTM 250sx for less than a month. I've ridden it about 3 times now. Before the first ride I checked the coolant level and it was good but I just checked it after my 3rd ride day and found that I had to add almost 2 small water bottles to even see any fluid!! 

I started it up again and the coolant was just flowing from the overflow tube... I figure its a bad cap and I've got one coming in the mail to replace it.

Anyone else had this issue?? 

That's the last thing i need... blow up the bike the 4th ride out because it didn't have any coolant...

Try bending the two tabs on the cap in slightly. Much the same thing happened to me on my 2014 200, first ride. Spewing, swapped caps with another rider, stopped my spewing but made his do it. 10 second fix.

Try bending the two tabs on the cap in slightly. Much the same thing happened to me on my 2014 200, first ride. Spewing, swapped caps with another rider, stopped my spewing but made his do it. 10 second fix.

Which direction is "in"?  So you're bending the tabs to make the cap fit tighter?

Which direction is "in"?  So you're bending the tabs to make the cap fit tighter?

Sorry if I was not clear but yes, this makes the cap fit tighter. Maybe "in" was not the right term, I should have said "up".

• Like 1