That could a been bad.... what was your close call?

Wow, that could have been ugly! I'm sure you know this already, but make sure you use new bolts and Red Locktite each time installing rear sprockets. BTW, happy you were not injured.

Thanks for the tip, I fgured the lock nuts would be good and completely forgot to check them after a few rides. I do plan on buying a new complete hub and rim soon, looking for the gold rear set up to match my front.

Thanks for the tip, I fgured the lock nuts would be good and completely forgot to check them after a few rides. I do plan on buying a new complete hub and rim soon, looking for the gold rear set up to match my front.

If you ride track, I'm assuming your pretty aggressive. The track bikes go through a pounding when hitting the landings off jumps. 

Looks like you are discovering the answers to your questions posed in your other threads all on your own . . . but just in case . . .

Whats the costs if you cant turn a wrench?  -  Refer to video at the top of the page . . .   equipment failure, injury, humiliation, death, not being able to ride, feeling like a pansy

Where do I find riding buddies in So Cal? - on other forums where you haven't already outed yourself as "that guy" that can't turn a wrench or will show up to a ride with a bike inches away from a failure.

Edited by schmo
  • Like 3

It is always good to be "that guy" once.

1) Filter buy hitting the squid hill right out of the gate.

2) Filter buy looking over his/her bike before heading out on a ride.

3) Filter buy the gear he/she is wearing and/or ready to put on.

4) Remember, you were a squid at one time or another but multiple times is a complete "NO-NO"!!!

• Like 2

Looks like you are discovering the answers to your questions posed in your other threads all on your own . . . but just in case . . .

Whats the costs if you cant turn a wrench?  -  Refer to video at the top of the page . . .   equipment failure, injury, humiliation, death, not being able to ride, feeling like a pansy

Where do I find riding buddies in So Cal? - on other forums where you haven't already outed yourself as "that guy" that can't turn a wrench or will show up to a ride with a bike inches away from a failure.

Hey buddy I appreciate your interest in my latest post, although you seem to feel my lack of mechanical knowledge about bikes should make me feel like a "pansy" lol...

Being humiliated and felling like a pansy... not quite, it doesnt really bother me that I dont know everything about bikes thats why I am here asking questions, posting my mistakes and looking for people with my same interests. Because everyone starts some where, some are luckier than others in the hands there dealt and some have to learn the hard way.

As for outing my self as "that guy" I wasnt lucky enough to grow up in a family that could afford to do fun things like riding dirt bikes let alone have someone teach me the ins and outs of how to work on them. I rode an old 79' yamaha hand me down beater I got from a friend for about a year when I was 17 and up until about 6 months ago I hadnt been on a bike since 01'. So if it makes me "That Guy" because I decided to start riding again after 13 years and I'm not embaressed to ask for help or insite from guys who have been around for awhile than i guess thats me and although you dont find the idea of riding with some one that would tell you honestly about his abilities rather than talk himself up and leave you disapointed at the end of the day, there are a few people that dont mind as I've met a few so far.  

You may not appreciate my posts but I know of at least one guy who may be glad I threw this up.

I put on a new sprocket about 4 rides ago , guess what I will be checking when I get home .

Dont hate man, appreciate because its guys like me cruising around the track trying to stay out the faster guys way that make you feel like a super star when you fly by roosting us.

• Like 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

It's the internet dude . . . relax . . . no serious insults to your manhood, family, or upbringing intended.  ?

i guess thats me and although you dont find the idea of riding with some one that would tell you honestly about his abilities rather than talk himself up and leave you disapointed at the end of the day

Again, it's the internet dude.  Just in case Match.com is your next destination . . . "I have herpes" might not be the best intro. ?

• Like 4

At my buddies shop I saw a guys bike in there with a 1/2" groove worn in to the inside of the swing arm from the very same thing, loose locknut. It looked crazy :eek: . I get new bolts and lock nuts every time I change out the chain and sprocks (the oem locknuts are usually the best) I believe Pro-taper makes some bolts that are pretty sweet mixed with the oem lockers. Bigger allen size makes for easy removal and torque down. I was taught :prof:   to squirt a little blue lock in to the seat of the bolt holes on the sprocket as well as on the threads of the bolts. I like to give a little extra torque with a box wrench and a rubber mallet (3-4 solid taps on the wrench, dont get crazy) you can get it done without destroying your knuckles. I do it with the wheel standing up right on the work bench which makes it pretty easy. I haven't had any issues with bolts coming loose. I'm no wrench by any means and this is just my 2 cents, but figured I could offer a bit of help as opposed to ridicule and the general mockery :bonk:   that we all experience here on TT. Although the ridicule and general mockery can produce some pretty interesting and amusing threads...  ?

• Like 1