Sign in to follow this  

KDX

I am going to look at a KDX in a day or two. I was wondering about anything specifically I should look out for. It sounds like a really good deal. $900 and has some newer things (claims a new top end) fmf gnarly pipe, new reeds, whole nine yards. I think the power and all will be good for me as I like trails but may occasionally jump on a track. It is a '99 and I believe (maybe not?) that model wasn't modified anymore til their cease of production. Meaning parts should be avalible for it if need be right? I've checked with where I usually buy parts and they seem to carry or will ship parts for pretty much everything but one widley used bolt on the bike. One thing that is odd, it has no headlight? the taillight is there but no headlight? Do these have E-starts on them? Also, the bag that is usually in front of the break light is not there.

No electric start, kick only. Came with a headlight / taillight stock, but the headlight usually get taken off or broken in a crash. For a 15 year old bike I'd check suspension linkage play, wheel bearing play, steering stem bearings , swing arm , DE carbon/clean KIPS exhaust valve, pretty much expect to put some money into rejuvenating the bike. Fork seals, chain and sprockets , etc.

I've had older KDX's and most need some TLC . I don't recollect anything specific for a KDX that doesn't apply to any other used bike. They are good solid trail bikes.

I just purchased a 99 KDX220 for my daughter. The guy was asking $900, I talked him into $750 cash. It had a leaky carb, (easy fix, cleaned it and assembled it correctly), missing kick stand, and no bag also. Needs new tires and a new air filter. But it runs and yes parts are still available. Great trail bike. I am looking at eBay for used parts (bag and stand) if not, I will get stuff from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

Edited by trailrydr9

KDX200 from 97-06 when production ceased are virtually all the same.  I have been able to buy all the parts i need from www.ronayers.com.  Look at the OEM parts fiche from 1999-2006 and you can check to see if the part numbers are the same or even use parts from the later years.

I bought it for $900, Seems like a good deal. WIll post up some pics. First thing I wanna do is get the headlight for it, get the tail light working, And new plastics with a new seat cover. It ran good and felt sold. Doesn't seem to have the ponies that you would think a 200cc 2t would have. Ill eventually get a 250cc mxer but I gotta get better first.

I bought it for $900, Seems like a good deal. WIll post up some pics. First thing I wanna do is get the headlight for it, get the tail light working, And new plastics with a new seat cover. It ran good and felt sold. Doesn't seem to have the ponies that you would think a 200cc 2t would have. Ill eventually get a 250cc mxer but I gotta get better first.

it may need a new top end if it doesnt have good power.  Check jetting, reeds and powervalve too!  The other thing holding them back is the factory exhaust.  Replaced the factory pipe with FMF gnarly and FMF muffler.  Note there are two different pipes...one for woods riding, the other for more open riding.  Plenty of reading here at TT and kdxrider.net giving you opinions about it

I'm a little mad now that I checked the VIN and it is a '96 not a '99 I know it is only three years but the guy lied to me.