Sign in to follow this  

What's with the high shipping charges from Millennium Technologies?

I read of others getting charged high shipping charges from Millennium Technologies, but I just experienced it first hand and it stinks!

It cost me 11.48 to send my 4.5lb package to them by FedEx, and they charged me 30.00 to send it back by UPS ground. I chose FedEx because it was cheaper (UPS wanted 15.38).  I can't understand why Millenium charged me nearly double the UPS retail cost.

I emailed Millennium 10 days ago to politely inquire as to how the cost was calculated and I got no reply. Today I called to follow up and spoke with a guy named Scott, and he said they just use whatever their UPS computer tells them and add 5.00 a handling fee. I explained my numbers, and he said he will look into it and call me back.

I don't mind the 5.00 handling fee, but where did the other 10 dollars go?

They should have *better* UPS pricing than I can get retail, not worse. Something is wrong, and it doesn't feel good. 

Well, let's see if he calls.

EDIT: I realize this is a MT issue, not EG. EG used to ship the stuff back for free if you included full payment by check. Those were the days...

Edited by rjpjnk
  • Like 2

Guess what. He called back. He told me that they added 1000.00 insurance to the package and that accounted for the additional 10.00.

Seems like too much coverage (65cc cylinder and head for resurfacing work), but at least I now know why the cost was high.

So for any of you guys experiencing this high cost, it may be due to insurance.

• Like 3

I sent mine out last week and it cost like $21 at the post office with insurance included for my cr250 jug.

Just doing the waiting game now... I just assumed the S&H was included in the quote they gave me. Im hoping I dont have to spend even more than quoted but hey, thats motorcyclin' I guess!

People charge whatever they want for shipping and "handling". You never know if they are out in the boondocks and making a special trip (where your'e paying their gas cost) or it's just a way to make more $$$$. I always find actual shipping cost with customers preferred carrier/method a fair deal for all. But then again I dont live in the boondocks. I usually go USPS priority mail. Reasonable and quick$$

Edited by ickfinger
  • Like 1

May be we can send them the prepaid label  with fedex door pick up. 

That's a great idea. I'm gonna try that next time. They must already have a regular FedEx pickup since they offer both as options on the order form.

yeah its about $1 here to add $100 worth of insurance. The last package I sent was a long tube shaped. The lady at the post office told me they charge extra to ship round things. so ship it in a box!

Guess what. He called back. He told me that they added 1000.00 insurance to the package and that accounted for the additional 10.00.

Seems like too much coverage (65cc cylinder and head for resurfacing work), but at least I now know why the cost was high.

So for any of you guys experiencing this high cost, it may be due to insurance.

$1000 insurance costs less than $10, probably closer to $2. Just a way of making more money. Takes an additional 10 seconds at checkout.
  • Like 1

They just hit me for $21.00 to ship a set of rings? The site states UPS ground as "the only shipping method available" thats just plain crazy. I sent my entire cylinder to them for less than that.

Wow! you're right. I just went to the website and put a single 144 piston ring in my cart and the shpping charge was 20.90. This is absolutely ridiculous! How can they get away with this? I don't suppose they put 1000.00 insurance on a 17.00 ring. This really takes all the fun out of it :(

• Like 1

Go with US Chrome anyway. They're the original players, former USC

employees ripped off their process and started Millenium. Also USC has a better plating process, better customer service, better prices, and I got mine shipped back for free with a deal on their website. No brainer

• Like 1

I'm sure the 72 mm rings aren't specific to Eric Gorr so next time I'll buy them somewhere else. That double head gasket though... I called Cometic and that's a no go. Next time I buy a top end kit I'll just order a couple extra of everything. I'm sure its Millenium and not Gorr but that doesn't make it any less irritating.

I'm sure its Millenium and not Gorr but that doesn't make it any less irritating.

True, but I wonder if he is aware of the extraordinary shipping prices Millennium is adding. I guess he's not allowed to mail anything out himself now that he's under Millennium though. Too bad.

Is there an alternate place to buy big bore rings? How about pistons? I seem to recall the Wiseco EG used being custom built. Can it be purchased anywhere other than Millennium?

I can say this much about shipping, if it cost 15.00 as a shipper to ship you have built in cost of boxing the product, printers and ink isn't free nor the time it takes to do all of the above. Just something to think about from the other side of the counter. Also the extra insurance cost more, different box sizes all factor in. So before your to quick to throw them up the bus know the facts.

They plated a cylinder for me and there was a pinhole in the plating. So I sent it back and they said its normal- it's the plating gassing. Even though I've never seen another company's plating have pinholes.

They then charged me $37 to ship it back to me. It costed me $11 to ship there. Bad service

I did an objective test between Millenium and US Chrome this winter.  I sent one cylinder to both (Millenium got my RM250, US Chrome got my YZ125) - Millenium took much longer, had pinholes in the plating, and the cylinder was loaded with blasting media.  It appears they glassbead their cylinders and leave it up to the consumer to clean them out.

Us Chrome did a much better job IMO and I will be using them in the future. 

Edited by Johnny_On_The_Spot
  • Like 1

powerseal all the way :)

Some builder friends and myself have noticed over the past couple years now a drop in milliniums quality control.  A host of people have gotten cylinders' back sized incorrectly...and when we are building certain builds - the correct size is crucial!

Powerseal has done right be me a long time - and always stood behind their product.

Millinium does offer some other machining services not related to two stroke cylinders that are extremely high quality - will throw that out there.

• Like 3