Sign in to follow this  

Time for top and bottom end rebuild

Hello I recently just blew up my yz125 and I took it to the shop and apparently I need a top and bottom end rebuild. And I really wanna rife again so I wondering how long this would take them to do?

Call then and ask. Chances are it only needs a top end, but they're trying to get the money out of you for the bottom end as well. Learn to do the work yourself, slap a piston and ring in her in a few hours and take her for a rip

If your bike was at my shop, completely clean and I had all the parts on hand, with no other work, about four hours time. Filthy, add a few hours, no parts in stock, add a week or so. Other customers ahead of you, add another week or two. Hand me $10K cash, it'll be ready tonight.

• Like 1

Call then and ask. Chances are it only needs a top end, but they're trying to get the money out of you for the bottom end as well. Learn to do the work yourself, slap a piston and ring in her in a few hours and take her for a rip

Yeah that's what I thought too but they said some pieces of the pistilon broke apart and got all up in the parts of the engine and also the cylinder needs to be bored out because it was damaged. Does this sound right to anyone?

Your cylinder is Nikasil plated. It does not get bored out. If the shop told you they were going to bore the barrel, find another shop.

To repair a barrel, itf it is worn or barely scratched, it gets just replated. If it is a valuable (aka special port job) the damage may be worth welding and replating. Otherwise, you with do a swap with a place like Millenium Teh or buy a new OEM barrel.