Sign in to follow this  

07 Crf250 vs 05 kx250f

I'm looking for my first bike that I can really get into racing with, and get off my anchor of a Drz400e, and both these bikes just came up for sale.

The 07 crf250 is asking 2100 and looks clean as a whistle cosmetically and is sound mechanically, but all stock.

The 05 kx250f is asking 1500 not quite as clean cosmetically and is sound mechanically except for the owner said a very little bit of coolant is ending up in the transmission, so I'm betting it's just a water pump seal that needs to be replaced.

The question is, is it worth the extra dough for the crf or is the kx good enough to get me started? I'm very handy with bikes so repairs are no big deal as long as parts are cheap.

Thanks guys

Do you know how many hours each bike has since the last rebuild?

Well if you're pretty sure the water pump seal is the issue with the kaw then I'd go for it over the crf

Skip the kx250f. The 04-05 kxfs are the ones to stay away from. They were a spilt build between Suzuki and Kawasaki. First generation. 06 and up I would look into for the Kxfs. If you can afford the crf get that one instead. I believe the crfs had early head valve issues. So keep an eye on that. Don't buy a bike you will have to fix. It may turn into some other big issue.