Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change frequency: Trail vs Motocross

Hey TT, I am new to the idea of dirt bikes and I have a question about "motocross" bikes vs trail bikes. I want something simple, easy to maintain and for trail use. I'm hoping to go on long, weekend rides through CA terrain. I guess that puts me as a "trail bike" rider. Most forums say to change your oil every 2-3 rides, 3-6 hours, etc on the bike. Is this true for all dirt bikes or just motocross bikes? What are the proper things to do to keep a "trail bike" maintained?

Also, is there a good guide somewhere to which bikes are trail and which aren't? seems like the Yamaha YZ are competition bikes, WR are the enduro/trail. Honda is a crapshoot of CR, CRF, CRR, etc

Thanks.

Hey TT, I am new to the idea of dirt bikes and I have a question about "motocross" bikes vs trail bikes. I want something simple, easy to maintain and for trail use. I'm hoping to go on long, weekend rides through CA terrain. I guess that puts me as a "trail bike" rider. Most forums say to change your oil every 2-3 rides, 3-6 hours, etc on the bike. Is this true for all dirt bikes or just motocross bikes? What are the proper things to do to keep a "trail bike" maintained?

Also, is there a good guide somewhere to which bikes are trail and which aren't? seems like the Yamaha YZ are competition bikes, WR are the enduro/trail. Honda is a crapshoot of CR, CRF, CRR, etc

Thanks.

for a trail bike I would change the oil every 5 or so hours and clean the filter every ride or 2 depending on how dirty it actually gets as for which Hondas are trail bikes the crf450x and crf250x and all of the xr's are trail bikes.

Fair enough. Thanks Speedy. I was under the impression that trail bikes were much less "maintenance" than motocross bikes. I guess that is more with changing out valves/pistons/etc than it is in regards to changing oil?

Fair enough. Thanks Speedy. I was under the impression that trail bikes were much less "maintenance" than motocross bikes. I guess that is more with changing out valves/pistons/etc than it is in regards to changing oil?

with the crfx's I would change oil more frequently cause there still kinda race bikes but with xr's and probably wr's you could go like 500 miles without changing the oil. I would definitely look at xr's they even make a street legal one and there bulletproof and require very little maintenance.

Yea trail riding is often a lot lower RPM, more of gear up and lug. So it would make sense there'd be a lot less wear in that regard. Though, trail riding I tend to actually have my bike running a lot longer....so more hours. At the track I may ride 10-20mins of moto...then sit for a bit, do it again...I may get 4 good motos in, maybe another short one or w/e. So not a lot of accumulated time...just a lil harder on it on the track. Far as oil changes, i go by hours personally....what those hours came from isn't a factor for me. I do my oil every 3-4hrs of run time (i have a trail tech hour meter, worth it if the bike u get doesnt have one..pretty cheap). Maybe excessive, but since I use rotella....its not that expensive to do it. And I agree on the air filters....every ride or as needed if it barely has any dirt on it. Some people say "well, if its a little dirty it filters better"...i simply cant agree with that....so I do them a lot as well.

Never really had a trail bike like an xr, so I dunno what people do with those.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Yeah the WR250R would be a fantastic bike, but then they get expensive. I am hoping to find something along these lines:

-under $2000

-low maintenance

-not slow or tiny (I am 5'10 190 lbs)

-light enough to be fun and flickable

I think that means the WR's, the TT's from Yamaha, and I'm not entirely sure but I guess the XR's from Honda and I guess DRZ's from suzuki? I think the RM ones are the "competition" bikes

Yeah the WR250R would be a fantastic bike, but then they get expensive. I am hoping to find something along these lines:

-under $2000

-low maintenance

I think that means the WR's, the TT's from Yamaha, and I'm not entirely sure but I guess the XR's from Honda and I guess DRZ's from suzuki? I think the RM ones are the "competition" bikes

I would look at wr426 or older wr450f cause you can get them for a good price they have lots of power and aren't super heavy. Xr's and drz's are also nice but the wr is faster lighter and are actually updated and not the Same thing since the 1980s.

I would look at wr426 or older wr450f cause you can get them for a good price they have lots of power and aren't super heavy. Xr's and drz's are also nice but the wr is faster lighter and are actually updated and not the Same thing since the 1980s.

Yeah it sure seems like a lot of these bikes have not changed since the 80's.

I honestly might be fine with a 250 as well. I'm not looking for crazy power, just don't want to be on a little 125 I think. I have an SV650 currently as my road bike and it's plenty powerful.

something like this seems perfect: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4590573690.html

Edited by CmaxVT

Yeah it sure seems like a lot of these bikes have not changed since the 80's.

I honestly might be fine with a 250 as well. I'm not looking for crazy power, just don't want to be on a little 125 I think. I have an SV650 currently as my road bike and it's plenty powerful.

something like this seems perfect: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4590573690.html

Ya the 450s will be a little less powerful than your sv650 but from my experience you'll get bored with the 250 quick and wish you got the 450 but that's just my opinion get whatever you think is best for you.

Ya the 450s will be a little less powerful than your sv650 but from my experience you'll get bored with the 250 quick and wish you got the 450 but that's just my opinion get whatever you think is best for you.

Yeah it'll certainly have way less power. I'm not looking for anything remotely as powerful as the 650 haha, I just meant that it's a smaller bike but I can still have fun on it. I can imagine myself getting perhaps a little bored with a 250 4 stroke, but I have just as much fun WOT'ing a little bike at 35 mph as I do half throttling a big bike at 35

Yeah it'll certainly have way less power. I'm not looking for anything remotely as powerful as the 650 haha, I just meant that it's a smaller bike but I can still have fun on it. I can imagine myself getting perhaps a little bored with a 250 4 stroke, but I have just as much fun WOT'ing a little bike at 35 mph as I do half throttling a big bike at 35

Completely understand that's why I ride a 125 2 stroke and actually these new 450s aren't to far off from your sv650 lol.

Completely understand that's why I ride a 125 2 stroke and actually these new 450s aren't to far off from your sv650 lol.

yeah a 125 2 stroke seems like a lot of fun, low maintenance..but do they make "trail" low maintenance 2 strokes at all anymore?

yeah a 125 2 stroke seems like a lot of fun, low maintenance..but do they make "trail" low maintenance 2 strokes at all anymore?

Only ktm makes 2 stroke trail bikes anymore sadly and they all like to hold there value so you can't pick them up for cheap like the jap bikes.

Only ktm makes 2 stroke trail bikes anymore sadly and they all like to hold there value so you can't pick them up for cheap like the jap bikes.

Well I am sure they are worth it, but it sounds like wr250's, wr450's or xr's and drz's might work.

XR, DRZ are too heavy a bike IMO. Too much effort to ride and not fast in the woods

Japanese motocross bikes are popular because they are available everywhere, cheap, fast and light.

Riding style and clutch work is what contaminates gear box oil. Learn to change it and change it often.

Every bike is going to need maintenance so if you are against getting your hands dirty this hobby may not be for you.

Edited by UncleLuke

Really? Husqvarna or gas gas don't exist?

Yamaha yz250 is a fantastic trail bike.

Under $2K?

Remember you are going to need at least $4-500 worth of riding gear.

Also put aside a few hundred buck for other maintenance parts, suspension, gear oil, bearings, grips, seat cover, tires, brakes, etc. 

Another vote for yz250 here, can't really go wrong

The honda crf will require more frequent oil changes because the oil compartments are split. To begin with the motor side only holds roughly half a quart, actually 650ml. The unicam honda motor needs to be changed every ride in my opinion. The honda motor is also a bear to change the oil in at best. It's a pain in the ass I'll tell you that for sure. If you are at all mentally challenged or impatient you will cross thread the long trans drain bolt. With that being said any bike with a common oil sump will allow 2-3 rides or approximately 6-8 hours I guess depending on speed.

-under $2000

-low maintenance

I personally would go with a WR over a TT.