Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport cargo rack for the XR

I have been working hard on putting together a good system for carrying camping stuff on the XR.

I designed this up in solidworks.  $250 and I can have it fabbed and powder coated.  Would weld pipes in on the rear of the XR for this to mount to, and it would be easily removable.

rack-weldment.jpg

Being unemployed I can't really fork out to make this modification yet, so I have improvised and did the following for my ride on Wednesday.

Vancouver-20140804-00196.jpg

My plan is to take a back packing tent, tarp, and sleeping bag/pad; on this rack when I ride up to badger lake to spend the night.  Will be building a fire and doing chicken with vegetables.  If I catch some fish will cook those up in foil.

Nothing like sitting under the stars with a camp fire away from it all.

Edited by mackconsult

Hi and well done, hope it's a clear night for sitting under the stars buddy.

Good luggage racks for these bikes are either $'s or hand made by good people. If you can get that made for $250 including powder coating then, it's something when the money is a bit more flowing you should do. If I found one for sale at $250 I'd think about buying it. But it would have to have piped pannier sides to it, as when carrying more then normal for these bikes the back end gets a bit congested and heavy. The temporary solution looks like it'll take what you have planed for a great trip out. But just be very careful about the high exhaust, it's then you realise these bikes would get you around the world if only you could put some bags on it.

F.Y.I. I have a late 80's rear rack I could loan you if you needed , but it seems like you know what you're doing partner.

From the design it looks like you're going for more of a rear rack option. If so the original Honda Line rack had a very limited weight restriction, obviously OTT but you'll need attach to the frame just as your diagram shows. Honda didn't do that.

Good luck with the rack, I'll keep an hour on how you get on.

Rossi

• Like 1

Will your subframe support all the weight you are planning to load on the rack?  The reason that the OEM Honda rack can't carry much has nothing to do with the rack itself, it's the subframe that supports the rack that is the weak link.

IMHO why reinvent the wheel when it comes to a large capacity rack (especially one that puts the weight on the subrame) when there is already a high-capacity rack available that's cheaper?

I installed a Cyclerack ($199 + shipping) a couple of years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.  I regularly put about 40 pounds of stuff on it with zero problems and have messed around in a parking lot with a 175 pound buddy of mine sitting on the rack without breaking anything (surprisingly, the XRL rides relatively OK with three people on it...just don't hit a bump).  It's large enough to fit almost anything you can strap to it and uses braces that put the weight down into the frame  rather than the subframe.  Those braces look intrusive but they are far enough back that they don't interfere with the rider or passenger and have enough clearance you can still take the side panels off the bike without removing the rack.  

One nice feature I discovered is that the braces are handy for helping me control the bike when I ride in soft sand.  I can brace the back of my legs (calves) on them when trying to lighten the front end, which for me means better control and a lot less tiring.  It also provides a fair bit of protection to the bike (and your leg if you don't get out of the way) in a fall.

https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/tabid/87/ProductID/1/Default.aspx 

I've not tried any but you can get all sorts of accessories for them to bolt on panniers, gas cans, even a chainsaw!  It's got a lifetime warranty though I doubt they get many claims...

It's been an awesome rack and I have no problems recommending it to anyone.

• Like 1

MaryllAjax is correct here and thank you for bringing this up.

If you intend to take a fair bit of luggage for a long road trip, I would second him and strongly suggest attaching it to the subframe. I'd never seen the Cyclerack before today, seems just the job and your review rates it very highly. Thanks for sharing and also the story on the 3UP. I think the brace at the rear is also a must for long distance loads. The added tip over / knee brace solution is a nice look on it. I'm in Phoenix , AZ and it gets hard work picking these up in the desert sand at 115F.

I think for the price this is a great option, especially if money is tight. But if it's something you want to do, then you have an improvement on your design. I would suggest some extenders for a panier, the muffler does get in the way and with a good rack you can take three big bags anywhere you want. I did 10 countries and 3,000 miles with a XL600LMF fully loaded, without the beast loosing a beat. If I knew how to post pictures I'd show you.

Your temp solution for the upcoming star gazing will be fine if you only intend to go with limited tent, bags etc. Although you'll be surprised how quickly a rack gets filled with tent, sleeping bags etc. Another thing is the indicators / blinkers they tend to get covered easily with stuff on the back. If you live it a state where you don't need them then groovy.

Looking at the additional pannier rack on the Cyclerack. It doesn't look the best but, I guess it's a universal adaptor they do for $70. If you could manage something like this. But also with the main rack attached to the subframe, then you'd be able to go around the world and backwards twice.

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/tci-products-denali-luggage-rack-xr650r-00-08.html

Cheers to both of you if you're still reading this.

Rossi

Ditto on the frame concerns. I did quite a bit if research on this before building my rack and found several pics of broken rear frames with not a lot of weight added to them.