Sign in to follow this  

01 Yz125 Starting Probs

So a friend of mine just picked up a we'll used 125. It was rough and you could tell maintenance was never a first priority. He got it for a cheap first bike. We got it home and cleaned the carb and replaced a few things inside to stop the leak, flushed out the tank and all, got some new bars, grips, and other control items that were missing and replaced the filter while pulling the sand out of the air boot. Looked at the reeds and realized we had something sort of special. Turns out when Mike Williams worked at NYC he had done some good work to it(always thought that was a fast little 125). Anyway we got her in good working order rode it without flaw for a month or so then got deployed. Now we come back and the thing doesn't even try to start. We have spark and fuel (32:1). Push it kick it the thing doesn't even sputter. The carb and tank are flawless but I have not looked at the reeds. Compression feels solid as it ever has in the kick. Trying to.get a good idea what IM looking for before I dive on in as we'll as not knowing what the hell is on the inside of this thing...

1. Did the fuel sit while you were deployed? If so, replace it.

2. Make sure the petcock isn't clogged. (That's the switch that lets gas into the carb.

3. Remove spark plug and move the kick start lever up and down. (Just to let the engine breath)

4. Remove the carb. Take it all apart and spray carb cleaner in the orifices. Make sure you spray the pilot jet out real good. I know you said the carb was spotless but not sure if you cleaned it since you came back from being deployed. It may have sat with gas in it. Check your air screw - set to 1.5 turns out.

5. Remove the reed block and reeds. Make sure they are ok - no chips, cracks. Make sure they close all the way. If they are messed up replace them. If they don't close all the way you can flip them over for a temporary fix.

6. Check all ground wires to make sure they are grounded. I had an old blaster that had spark but wouldn't run. I ordered a new CDI and ignition coil but turns out my ground wire was loose.

7. Check your compression. Should be 160 psi I believe.

8. Get a new spark plug.

9. Make sure there's nothing obstructing air flow.

Sounds like you aren't getting fuel because you said you do have spark. Could possibly the top end but you should hear it ignite. I say to do all the above just to rule out common issues that I have experienced. Good luck!

So a friend of mine just picked up a we'll used 125. It was rough and you could tell maintenance was never a first priority. He got it for a cheap first bike. We got it home and cleaned the carb and replaced a few things inside to stop the leak, flushed out the tank and all, got some new bars, grips, and other control items that were missing and replaced the filter while pulling the sand out of the air boot. Looked at the reeds and realized we had something sort of special. Turns out when Mike Williams worked at NYC he had done some good work to it(always thought that was a fast little 125). Anyway we got her in good working order rode it without flaw for a month or so then got deployed. Now we come back and the thing doesn't even try to start. We have spark and fuel (32:1). Push it kick it the thing doesn't even sputter. The carb and tank are flawless but I have not looked at the reeds. Compression feels solid as it ever has in the kick. Trying to.get a good idea what IM looking for before I dive on in as we'll as not knowing what the hell is on the inside of this thing...

Any update??