Sign in to follow this  

Looking at buying a dr 650

I am going to be doing mostly offroad and some onroad. However, are these bikes gunna be able to climb and keep up with my friend's and thier 450's or naw. the guy is selling a 2009 dr 650 for 4000$ any input appreciated. 

In stock form, no. You'll have to spend money on the suspension to keep them in sight and it will always be significantly heavier and produce less power than the KTMs.

OTOH it will be reliable as an anvil and compared to the KTM's nearly indestructible. When they are spending thousands of dollars replacing expensive components and refreshing their top ends you'll still be riding.

It really depends on where and how you ride. if you ride a spirited trail bike pace you'll be just fine. OTOH if you want to go blasting across the desert at 80 miles an hour probably not.

Firstly for mainly offroading and short distances I'd be on a drz400 not a dr650. In terms of power neither the drz or dr650 will keep up with the 450's but the 400 will keep you close in any situation bar outright drag racing and last much longer than the high strung 450's.

+1 to the DRZ400 comment.  Comparing stock to stock, it's better suited to off-road riding than the DR650.  Put some more off-road oriented tires on it, and it's even better.  The 450s will out power you everywhere, but they will be doing a lot more maintenance to keep those bikes in top running shape.  The DRZ400 will go anywhere they will though.

And keep in mind that for your pavement use, however much that is, the DR650 will be superior to the 400 or 450. Those bikes tend to be very busy at highway speeds. In fact, it's the primary reason I'm not a big fan of the DRZ400. Suzki had a great 6 speed transmission in the DR350 and it could have made the DRZ400 a world beater by including that. I think they missed the boat there.

Edited by TN2Wheeler

+1 for the six speed on my 350. I like the 400 and almost bought a new one few years back but my next bike will be a new dr650 or nice used with mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

are the older dr650s just as reliable? im looking at  a 95 with a little over 4k on it its pretty freakin clean he wants 3k for it iv heard good things about them any experience?

95 is kick start only.  I had a 84 or 86 xl600 that always started up on first or second kick so kick start only was not that big of deal.  Lay the bike down and pick it back up and try to start it was a no go.  Kicking a big thumper over sucks even with decompression.   3k for a 95 sounds high even with 4k on the clock.

Here is an 08 with 26xx miles for $3500.  I know not in your area but just saying.

http://ottumwa.craigslist.org/mcy/4601051335.html

are the older dr650s just as reliable? im looking at  a 95 with a little over 4k on it its pretty freakin clean he wants 3k for it iv heard good things about them any experience?

Avoid pre 1996 DR650's. Not worth the trouble. $3K is absurd. In '96 a WHOLE NEW DR650 came out. NO relation to previous POS.

If you haven't bought a bike yet ... PLUS ONE on the DRZ400 comments.

If you were doing lots of road riding then the DR650 would be a good choice ('96 or newer). Great road bike, will BLOW AWAY any KTM450 on the highway or long ride, plus you can

load it up for month's long trip if you want.  :ride:

But off road it won't match the 450's off unless you're talking plain dirt roads or Fire roads, then it's fine. Overall, for mixed off road the DRZ400S is a good compromise and even OK on highway.

Once on technical single track the DR650 is outclassed by the 450's and even the DRZ400S.

If you have the budget, also consider a Husky TE450 or TE510. Very cool street legal dirt bikes. Not as long lived or reliable as a DRZ400S but damn good bikes once you get them set up. :thumbsup:

Edited by 54321

I had a '90 and I have a 06 now.  For off road the 06 is far better, on road the 06 is only slightly better.  I paid $3000 for my 06 with 4K miles.