Sign in to follow this  

Is the powervalve the problem?

Long story short... I attempted to replace right crank seal on my ktm 2001 200exc due to a lot of smoking and spooge (after trying to jet it). When I put it back together bike sounds like a four stroke real low bogging, still smoking and has ZERO power. What I was thinking is that the arm on the right case that attached to the powervalve might not be on the powervalve assembly properly therefore not opening the powervalve. Could this be a reason that my bike is so hard to start now, no power, and still smokes? Thanks for the help

your bike has inspection plates on both sides to tell you If the power valve Is working properly, their on the cylinder, 2 bolts on each side, I believe the left side should have a vent hose,

• Like 1

Take the left powervalve side cover off and rev the bike. If the powervalve isn't opening, you can see it not move.

take off the pipe and look in the right side inspection port and you can actually see the fork n ball to see if it is hooked up..use a flash lite....also look in my tips in the FAQ section at the top of the page

take off the pipe and look in the right side inspection port and you can actually see the fork n ball to see if it is hooked up..use a flash lite....also look in my tips in the FAQ section at the top of the page

Thanks mike, I will give that a try. Do the symptoms that I mentioned sound like the powervalve could be the issue?

yes it does, except for the hard starting and smoke. It should start n run like normal until you try n get to the upper revs. Then it will cut out and just not go like it should if the PV linkage is not connected.

Also when the main seals go out it is sometimes because the bearings are bad. The seals will go out again if the bearings are bad. Did you replace the o-ring on the right side too? Smoke could be water leaking into the combustion chamber too and coming out as steam.

• Like 1

yes it does, except for the hard starting and smoke. It should start n run like normal until you try n get to the upper revs. Then it will cut out and just not go like it should if the PV linkage is not connected.

Also when the main seals go out it is sometimes because the bearings are bad. The seals will go out again if the bearings are bad. Did you replace the o-ring on the right side too? Smoke could be water leaking into the combustion chamber too and coming out as steam.

Bearings seemed right, no I did not replace the o-ring I have hear that is a very common problem

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407353054.761441.jpg

This is the right side of the head where the arm is on the powervalve but I can't tell if it's on or not

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407353096.949795.jpg

This is the left side where the power valve viewing window is does this look like it's stuck open? That may be my problem..

start the bike up and watch for the parts to move when you rev it up n down. Use ear muffs............................