Sign in to follow this  

Draining a cankcase

So I have a CR80 and like everyone else I popped a crank seal.  So I installed a new seal and in my infinite wisdom I didnt drain the crankcase when I installed the new seal.  So now the question is without ripping the seal back out or ripping the entire motor apart how do I remove the oil from the crankcase?

How filled?  You had to drain the trans. oil to change the seal.  Was there none left?  How much came out when you drained it?  I imagine it isn't overly excessive and will burn/blow out.  Just keep some fresh packing on hand.

• Like 1

If it's that an insane amount the bike won't run right and it won't burn out quickly then turn the bike upside down on it's handlebars-seat and turn the engine over with no spark plug

Edited by zotis777
  • Like 2

Well I bought the bike not running correctly the seal had already popped.  I pulled the clutch cover and there was no fluid in it.  I removed what I thought was the crank case drain and it was bone dry.  Turns out it was the trans drain plug dont know what I was thinking.  So long story short I put it back together thinking the crankcase was drained when I never did.  I can only assume the previous owner filled the trans and it all leaked into the crankcase when the seal popped.

So I havent been able to get the bike to idle at all it is also hard to start but power band still feels good to me.  Keep in mind ive never ridden a cr80 before.  Also it blows more smoke than it should in the lower rpms and seems to clear up when I rip on it.  This led me to believe there must be some oil in the crankcase still.

Today I turned it upside down with the plug out cranked it and I couldnt get any oil out.  I also cleaned the pipe out with a degreaser.  I put it back together started it up and I had the same symptoms as I had before.  i can not figure out how to get this bike to idle. 

sounds like an 80 to me LOL.  JK but my old cr80 had a light switch power band.  Smoked a lot but I ran oil pretty heavy.  But didn't bog or foul plugs.  Need to do a full throttle chop and inspect the plug, sounds rich on the fuel

Well I have been playing with jets and I'm happy with the plug at wot now but its still not right at idle. I went from a 125 main 50 pilot to a 122 and 42. Still smokey down low and won't idle I don't get it.

Air screw is at 2 out. I've had it out more and in more and it didn't help idle. Currently the idle screw is in all the way and still nothing. If I hold the throttle open a little for a slightly high idle it will idle all day. The issue is even if I was OK with a high idle there'd no more adjustment in the idle screw to do it. Plus I still have my hard start issue.

When was the last time the top end was done?  How do the reeds look?  Air filter clean and not overly oiled?

Top end was done supposedly less than an hour or two ago.  Compression shows about 150.  The reeds looked to be in good condition and the filter is brand new a pre oiled.

Well I have been playing with jets and I'm happy with the plug at wot now but its still not right at idle. I went from a 125 main 50 pilot to a 122 and 42. Still smokey down low and won't idle I don't get it.

do you mean it doesn't idle right or do you mean it bogs out when you hit the throttle?

I mean when I come to a stop if I don't hold the throttle open a little or keep revving it it will stall. Throttle response and rideability seems good to me but again this is the first cr80 I've ever been on.

Well I bought the bike not running correctly the seal had already popped.  I pulled the clutch cover and there was no fluid in it.  I removed what I thought was the crank case drain and it was bone dry.  Turns out it was the trans drain plug dont know what I was thinking.  So long story short I put it back together thinking the crankcase was drained when I never did.  I can only assume the previous owner filled the trans and it all leaked into the crankcase when the seal popped.

cr80 only has 1 drain plug.

if there still was a significant amount of oil in the crank, it probably would not run, the residual oil would have burnt out fairly quickly, if it started.

as everyone is saying, jetting, if everything is in good shape, or condition of the top end, reeds etc.

cr80 only has 1 drain plug.

if there still was a significant amount of oil in the crank, it probably would not run, the residual oil would have burnt out fairly quickly, if it started.

as everyone is saying, jetting, if everything is in good shape, or condition of the top end, reeds etc.

I agree the drain plug was a silly error on my part. I guess the new question is why can't I get this thing to idle if comps good reeds are good and I've used a 50 45 and currently 42 pilot. I'm on the last clip now and main jets been everywhere from 128 125 to the current 122. One last piece of info is this bike is supposedly bored .080 over.