Sign in to follow this  

Giving up enduro?

So after riding trials for 2 months about 4 times a week for an hour or 2 and only riding my KTM twice in the past two months. I am thinking of selling my gas gas and ktm to buy a newer trials and hanging up the enduro towel for a while to see how much I miss it, if at all.

The last two times I rode the ktm I didn't have a fraction of the fun as on my gas gas. I would look at rocks and other obstacles and try them on the 300 only to fail all while knowing that I could conquer them on the trials and make it look cool at the same time.

Most of my friends have enduro's, but they are always too busy to ride anyway and we ride in areas that are perfect for a trials bike.

Do I just have a temporary bug or will this be a lasting obsession?

As you progress as a Trials rider (it may take a while), you can go back and use what you've learned to ride those obstacles on an enduro bike, if you like.

The more you devote yourself to Trials competition, the sooner you will learn those skills.

As you progress as a Trials rider (it may take a while), you can go back and use what you've learned to ride those obstacles on an enduro bike, if you like.

The more you devote yourself to Trials competition, the sooner you will learn those skills.

Those were my intentions when I bought the trials bike, but as I learn more on the trials the less I wanna even ride the enduro

I think only you know if this is a temporary fad you are in or if its going to be long term. You could sell it all now as you stated and feed the current obsession or "feel it out" a bit longer before you sell the Enduro to see if you get bored with it in 6-8 months.

Those were my intentions when I bought the trials bike, but as I learn more on the trials the less I wanna even ride the enduro

I remember feeling that way, I never quit riding big bikes though. Now I'm old enough that I'm not going to get any better as a Trials rider, I enjoy trailriding on enduro bikes. Despite being a gimpy old man, I can ride with guys half my age and twice my strength, all because of the skills I learned riding Trials.

I grew up riding and racing enduro's and Hare Scrambles and did so into my early 20's. Once I started riding trials though that was it!  I've tried to go back to riding "regular" bikes a few times. I've bought a new bike, a duel sport or what ever and the bikes just sit there un-ridden until I decide its stupid having the bikes sit there and I could use that money on other stuff (like trials stuff) and I sell it.  Now I realize I just don't have much desire to ride big bikes. Same could be true for you.   

• Like 2

A buddy of mine once told me about his Trials bike experience, and I thought it was a pretty interesting point of view. He said " I had a trials bike once. Was the most fun I'd had while riding, in a long time. I loved riding that bike! But I didn't have any friends with trials bikes to ride with, and decided to sell the Trials bike after several months. Worst mistake I ever made; I should've gotten new friends instead of selling that bike!".......

I think a good point here would be to try & find another trials rider to get some rides with, if at all possible. Myself, I'm perfectly content riding by myself most of the time, but do find it really nice to get out occasionally & ride with the guys in the local club. They make it more fun, and you generally learn & improve faster with other riders around. And there's always the aspect of having your friends ridicule you for whatever boneheaded stunt you accidentally pull......  :bonk:

I will admit there are times I wish I had my old 300 KTM back to do some trail rides with some of my old riding pals, however,  :thinking: that doesn't last too long anymore, though..... :smirk: And I do find myself riding more than I've been able to in the past, simply because I can ride on my own 2 little acres of dirt, pretty much whenever I want. Couldn't do that with my big bike, and still remain "challenged".....

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron

Thank you for the insight, I knew I couldn't be the only one in this predicament. Looks like I have some scrubbing and cleaning to do on both bikes to get them ready to sell. Then a whole lot more research on which new bike to go for.

Thank you for the insight, I knew I couldn't be the only one in this predicament. Looks like I have some scrubbing and cleaning to do on both bikes to get them ready to sell. Then a whole lot more research on which new bike to go for.

Get the Evo 300 2T and have the best of both worlds.

I can relate to your dilemma.

I've been riding off road enduro/ HS / Dual Sport/ and trail rides for a few years and love them on my KTM 200. Late last year, I was introduced to Trials and was immediately hooked. I quickly went out and bought an '01 GasGas and rode that a few times a week in a parking lot behind my city apartment and loved it.  The carryover to the big bike was apparent and I very quickly became a more confident and capable rider. It was so easy to practice for 30min without lots of setup, cleaning, gear, etc... I later sold that bike and got a great deal on 2010 GasGas that I rode and loved. I thought about ditching enduro's in favor of the Trials bike, which I could still use to ride limited trails if I wanted. This spring, I had to make a decision as I had other hobby's taking my time and I wouldn't be able to ride as much this summer. Also, the wife wasn't happy with two bikes (and several thousand $$) going un-ridden in the garage. The question was: Do I sell the KTM, which I love, because I can ride the Trials bike more regularly, or sell the trials bike which is very specialized and as others mentioned, requires finding new friends to ride with? In the end, I sold the GasGas and regret it to some extent, even though I have been riding my KTM lately and get tremendous joy from that bike. 

I've learned from my experience over the years that in general, it's better to keep bikes, especially one's that you got a great deal on, or you've invested time and resources into. Naturally, we all have budgets and space constraints, but given the opportunity, I recommend keeping your KTM for another year, saving your money, selling the current trials bike you have, then invest in a newer trials bike. This gives you more time to evaluate the type of riding you want to do. You can always sell the KTM 300; its one of the best selling off road bikes of all time. 

just my $.02

Well I made up my mind. I am gonna temporarily give up an enduro bike. Have a potential buyer coming this weekend for both my bikes. Gonna let them both go and buy a newer trials bike. Have my eye on a rev-3 270, sherco 290, montesa 4rt, and am also considering spending even more money on an evo 300. Plan on buying a long range kit for whichever bike I end up getting to do some longer trips. Then if I miss my trail bike too much I'll start saving and pick one up next spring/summer. Thanks for the advice and trying to sway an addict.

I am on the fence regarding giving up enduros. Three weeks ago today I broke my collarbone, a rib, and chipped the shoulder blade when I crashed on hardpack and rocks. I am tired of the pain. Problem is, I love my husky.

I am on the fence regarding giving up enduros. Three weeks ago today I broke my collarbone, a rib, and chipped the shoulder blade when I crashed on hardpack and rocks. I am tired of the pain. Problem is, I love my husky.

I hear ya. Last week I went to warm up the ktm to drain the trans oil. I zipped it up and down the road in shorts, a t-shirt, 1 flip flop, and a boot. Decided it would be a good idea to do a 4th gear wheelie in the driveway and looped it out at around 40mph. Road rashed my hip so deep I could barely walk. Also chewed up both my knees and elbows as well as a huge gash in my toe. This was my dumbass fault and obviously no the bikes.

I did wuss out and take both my bikes off CL in order to save money and buy the beta evo I want. Last minute i decided I would miss racing scrambles this spring and couldn't let the 300 leave.

You can scramble the Evo to good effect if rules allow.

I'm in the desert so there are sections where you are wide open going 85-90 mph on two track. I think I would be eaten up in those sections

• Like 1

After buying my 2014 OSSA Explorer (trials bike with a seat and extra fuel tank) - I didn't even start my KTM 300 EXCW for six months.

So I sold and haven't been sorry.

The KTM was a blast, but I have more fun on the OSSA.

I ride with enduro guys all the time and while I don't sent to go as fast on the fast stuff, I have more fun on the nasty stuff.

I do get a bit tired on those long 50- 70 mile days.

Mark

• Like 1