Sign in to follow this  

2002 honda xr200r

okay so im looking to sell my xr200 soon to switch to a 2 stroke. not sure how much i should ask. 

it has: new Wiseco piston, bored .020 over, new valves, valve guides, valve stem seals, timing chain, timing chain tensioner. guide, and cam sprocket, rebuilt carb, Renthal bars, new fork seals.

the appearance is a 8 out of 10 id say, only thing physically wrong is a few scratches on the tank and front fender. needs absolutely nothing. i was thinking somewhere in the $1100 range (i know its not a desirable bike but ive poured some money into it), any help appreciated! 

(p.s. since this picture was taken i have put on new grips, replaced the chain guard, and i painted the engine while i was rebuilding it)

10441304_686127718091482_3882264529184587745_n.jpg

I think you are in the ball park on price. By the way, XR 200'S are more desirable than you think. Post it up and see what happens. The XR line is legendary, but don't get too carried away on the price. What are you thinking about moving up to?

I sold mine with nothing done to it besides a new year tire and a headlight for 1300. I was asking 1500obo

I think you are in the ball park on price. By the way, XR 200'S are more desirable than you think. Post it up and see what happens. The XR line is legendary, but don't get too carried away on the price. What are you thinking about moving up to?

im 6'0 and 215 pounds so im going to a 250 2 stroke for sure...looking to start doing motocross, now im just trying to decide between which of the big 4 japanese bikes to go to

you could sell that for $1100 no probs, just gotta find the right buyer

I sold mine with nothing done to it besides a new year tire and a headlight for 1300. I was asking 1500obo

i bought it for $950 and have rebuilt it 3 times in the year and a half ive owned it. (long story..got the wrong parts, and then some parts failed) so im losing money either way...i may try just trading for a 250 2 stroker if i can find someone to do that

The trade might work out well. Just remember someone is always getting the worse end of the deal. I have never heard of an xr needing rebuilt

The trade might work out well. Just remember someone is always getting the worse end of the deal. I have never heard of an xr needing rebuilt

me either..but the timing chain tensioner arm broke and it jumped timing and bent the intake valve, so we did rings and piston and valves..but got the wrong piston and the cylinder was wore out so then we bored it out and got wiseco piston and rings, but now the timing chain tensioner broke and it jumped and bent the same valve again..i swear my bike is cursed LOL

me either..but the timing chain tensioner arm broke and it jumped timing and bent the intake valve, so we did rings and piston and valves..but got the wrong piston and the cylinder was wore out so then we bored it out and got wiseco piston and rings, but now the timing chain tensioner broke and it jumped and bent the same valve again..i swear my bike is cursed LOL

Normally the tensioner breaking problem is found on the 2001 models.  What happens is the crank slips out of alignment (fit problem from the factory) causing the lower sprocket to wobble and the chain to slap.  After awhile it breaks the bottom of the rear tensioner off due to the chain slapping.  May be a good idea to see if the end of the crank is running true.  I've seen this happen once myself and have heard of three or four others also.

Old School Al

Normally the tensioner breaking problem is found on the 2001 models.  What happens is the crank slips out of alignment (fit problem from the factory) causing the lower sprocket to wobble and the chain to slap.  After awhile it breaks the bottom of the rear tensioner off due to the chain slapping.  May be a good idea to see if the end of the crank is running true.  I've seen this happen once myself and have heard of three or four others also.

Old School Al

i will check that before we put the top end back on..thanks, ive never heard of that

Old School Al

could you tell me how to check that? im only 15 and im just learning how to work on bikes myself. havent really dealt with any bottom end stuff yet

You should have no prob selling that bike. Be patient and the right buyer will come along.

could you tell me how to check that? im only 15 and im just learning how to work on bikes myself. havent really dealt with any bottom end stuff yet

Basically you rotate the crankshaft and watch the flywheel  end for wobble....................like if the end were bent.  You can detect it with your eye no problem when it's bad enough to break tensioners.  May be best to have someone walk you through it the first time.

Old School Al

Basically you rotate the crankshaft and watch the flywheel  end for wobble....................like if the end were bent.  You can detect it with your eye no problem when it's bad enough to break tensioners.  May be best to have someone walk you through it the first time.

Old School Al

thanks. i usually do have my dad help me out the first time i do something..hes got 40 + years of experience working on engines so he helps me a lot

• Like 1

Good job on selling it. I have a '94 that just had the top end rebuilt, some head porting done, runs like a champ AND it's street legal with lights and a clean title, didn't get a single bite on it and was asking $1800 obo...never even got an offer. Maybe you're giving me hope and I'll post it again :) Did you sell it locally?

Good job on selling it. I have a '94 that just had the top end rebuilt, some head porting done, runs like a champ AND it's street legal with lights and a clean title, didn't get a single bite on it and was asking $1800 obo...never even got an offer. Maybe you're giving me hope and I'll post it again :) Did you sell it locally?

it was someone local, but, still havent sold it...ran into some more problems rebuilding it and just now got it back together tonight. i have 2 people wanting to look at it. 1 person with cash, one with a CR250 to trade