Sign in to follow this  

250 2 stroke. HELP

im 6'0 215 pounds, i will be riding on both the track and trails, and im looking for a 250 2 stroke and i will have $1300 to spend...so out of the 250 2 strokes between 95-03 can anyone tell me what the strong/weak points of some bikes were? and what to look out for on some etc. will be buying hopefully at the end of this month after i sell my XR. THANKS!

I don't think you can go wrong with a YZ250.   They are generally considered the most adaptable MX'r for trail use with a lot of low end for a 250 mx'r.  They sold a lot of them as well so ebay parts are easily found.

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong with a YZ250.   They are generally considered the most adaptable MX'r for trail use with a lot of low end for a 250 mx'r.  They sold a lot of them as well so ebay parts are easily found.

i was leaning towards a yz...ive been looking mainly at yz's and found a sweet 2000 yz250 with a fresh rebuild for $1350...may try that one

That's a decent price if the YZ does in fact have a fresh rebuild.

The 2000-2002 RM250 is a nice bike.  They are not as good as the '05s or '06s but they are still nice. and in your price range.

In my opinion, the latest model RM's (not sure when they changed them over but the last generation of them) were the best 250 2t ever. I've read a lot of shootouts backing that up as well. A friend of mine I ride with often has an 06 I believe and it is a great bike. 

That being said, at $1300 just buy the cleanest one. 250 2t's have been developed for years with stiff competition and proven technology. There are no real lemons and they're all pretty comparable with each other. Even one that's 10-15 years old in good running order is still competitive with newer ones. There were some bad 4 strokes in the beginning of the high performance 4 stroke craze too but 2 stroke motocross bikes are more then less the same right back to the early 90's with minor changes but not a whole lot.

I'd shoot for a late model RM or YZ depending on the prices in your area but if not, go for anything that's clean and well looked after. The only real bike I wouldn't recommend is the first generation of the aluminum frames from Honda. I rode a 99 and I did not like it at all. The frames are very overbuilt (stiff) and it effects the handling of the bike and seems to transmit all little vibrations through to you. Still though, if you found a very clean one in showroom condition for what your looking to spend, I'm not sure it's enough to pass up.

Good luck. Take your time, look at all little things like fork seals, sprockets and stuff like that and you'll find a good bike. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 2

I rode a 2000 KX250 and the engine was ok but nothing else about it was that special. 

In my opinion, the latest model RM's (not sure when they changed them over but the last generation of them) were the best 250 2t ever.

Yeah I couldn't remember when it was either.  I think they changed over in '05 and did a '06 but not sure if they did a '07 in the states.  If they did that was the last year.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

RM's have been good for a long time. 96 and 04 are the two biggest redesign years in the range you are looking at. 04+ is generally considered the real money years where the bike was the "best: 250 ever. 

04 RM had a pretty big set of changes, I think including the switch to Showa suspension (that might have been 05) the 04 RM was very sharp steering and had a pretty hard hitting motor. 05 was slightly more "YZ like" in the motor but still faster revving and harding hitting. They made very minor changes to the chassis, retaining that RM feel but adding a little stability. 06+ is virtually unchanged. 

I have an 05 that I just love. 

I also had an 03 and 06 YZ 250 that were great. Different handling and slightly different motor, but also very good bikes. 

EDIT: I found this thread (among many on TT) but this one is pretty to the point;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/829691-rm250-model-years/

If you are looking for a bike to do trail duty, power delivery is huge!  A lightweight 48 horsepower machine with a big hit can make ugly things happen in the woods in a hurry.  The popular thought is that the YZ tends to make a lot more power on the bottom end allowing you a lot more spread before getting into the power band and comes on the pipe a lot smoother.  If you are looking primarily at using it on the track, you can probably just pick a color.