Good First truck

I will have my license in a year. I hope to save 3500-5000 and might be able to pay 7k if my mom decides she would want to match what I save.  I will need a truck that:

-seats at least five

-is full size.

-year and age doesn't matter

-has solid axle

- be able to tow our 3k # boat once in a while

-diesel or gas

-capable off road 

I do not want:

- smaller toyotas; they are too small for my height  and long legs

-dodge unless its a cummins

- a half ton would take some convincing for me

-don't want a crew cab(4 full 

-mom says not too long

-something weak unless its able to be made powerful on a budget

f150 or f250 with the 5.4 liter engine is a good truck, no speed demon but will pull your boat fine fx4 package is pretty cable off road 97-03 f150's are good trucks plus lots of parts available. Extended cabs are pretty cramped but, you'll never have to sit back there. Chevy maybe more spacious. They are also a good truck just less available 

I've been in an extended cab and yes it sucks. But its doable, so I don't care what my siblings think. Besides the more uncomfortable, the less they'll wanna ride with me :D  ?  

I really think that generation of f150 is BUTT UGLY though. no solid axles right?

no ifs up front, the older body style may have a solid axle, and both the 4.9 straight six and the 5.0 v8 are very good engines. If you want to go big super duties from that year have the 460 bb and c4 tranny also a great combo 

I will have my license in a year. I hope to save 3500-5000 and might be able to pay 7k if my mom decides she would want to match what I save. I will need a truck that:

-seats at least five

-is full size. = Dodge/GM/Ford

-year and age doesn't matter = it does

-has solid axle = now we're into 3/4 Ford or Dodge

- be able to tow our 3k # boat once in a while = any half-ton will

-diesel or gas = ever repair a diesel engine?

-capable off road = eliminates diesels as the stiff suspension and heaviness of the truck make it atrocious offroad...

I do not want:

- smaller toyotas; they are too small for my height and long legs = Ever tried a Tundra?

-dodge unless its a Cummins = bad for offroad remember?

- a half ton would take some convincing for me = Why?

-don't want a crew cab(4 full = sure

-mom says not too long

-something weak unless its able to be made powerful on a budget

=???

-So in short, GM full size trucks are out, and Dodges too unless it's a cummins (let's face it though, you ain't going to find a clean cummins for a cheap price).

So were left with the underpowered 5.4l in the Ford or the horrible 6. 0l diesel which are known for serious issues..

Good luck!

• Like 2

Don't get caught up wanting a 3/4 to 1 ton.  I have a lot of redneck friends who have them and my mid-sized Nissan does more actual work towing and hauling then theirs do.  But they have an image that they want to present, and nothing besides an extremely large truck will complete that image even though 99% of the time it's hauling a bed full of nothing, and that rusty ball hitch they leave in has only seen a trailer once, but has whacked MANY shins!

I think a half ton F-150 in crew cab configuration is about perfect.  I can't see why you'd need solid axles.  And unless you need to tow heavy stuff, or just like blowing money, a diesel is unnecessary.  I know you think they're too small for you, but depending on the type of off-roading you do, smaller trucks are MUCH better in the trails.  I've seen some very tall dudes driving the ones from the late 90's and on.   A crew cab Toyota or Nissan will do everything you need it to do towing a boat and hauling people, and still go through tight trails, steep hills, and muddy ruts.  And F-150 will do everything slightly better except off-road work, and will probably be a little cheaper.

Edited by bassjam

I would for sure get at least a 3/4 ton, it's abut the only way to tow that boat. I could go either way with the solid axles, but solid ones do better off road, so I think that answers your question right there.

I would for sure get at least a 3/4 ton, it's abut the only way to tow that boat. I could go either way with the solid axles, but solid ones do better off road, so I think that answers your question right there.

It's a 3k pound boat, a Ford Ranger rates in at 5k towing capacity... You don't need a 3/4 for that....

• Like 3

Since when does a 16yr really have the money to afford operating a full size truck? A 3/4 will cost a minimum of 60 cents a mile...

My first car was a Ford Festiva which I would bet was less then half that to operate. Buy a small car, when you need a truck go rent one...

Typical problem of what's wrong in society....

You won't get a solid axle in a half ton unless you go back to the 80's. IFS is fine for an average DD as long as you don't treat it like you would treat your jeep. 3K towing isn't a big deal anyways. I've always been a fan of the 4.6 in Ford trucks. Very good on gas and tough as nails. You should be able to find a 97-03 style ford no problem. They're not a solid axle but you really do not need a 3/4 ton unless you're strictly going in the woods and what not which I doubt you are.

Here's my 97 F150 XL, 4.6 4x4. Always liked this body style much more then the 04-08 and even the latest ones to some degree. I've owned numerous Chevy's (05,08,04,94,84) and IMO they're not a good truck. The 99-06 rust terribly and have a ton of electrical problems not to mention weak front ends and my 08 had transmission issues at 80k. I have no experience with Dodge or the Jap brands but I doubt you will find a toyota or Nissan for 7k. 

Another good thing about Fords - they'll fit a big tire no problem with little to no lift. You just turn your torsion bars a little for 33's, a 2.5 inch level will fit 35's. 

IMG_1303_zps00909fdc.jpg

mountain2_zpsdc3585f6.jpg

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 1

Since when does a 16yr really have the money to afford operating a full size truck? A 3/4 will cost a minimum of 60 cents a mile...

My first car was a Ford Festiva which I would bet was less then half that to operate. Buy a small car, when you need a truck go rent one...

Typical problem of what's wrong in society....

I love my small car, 99 civic 5 speed costs me 33$ to go from southern MA to ME and back

Of course a civic doesn't two car trailers or haul bikes so we have the 94 6.5 Detroit.

You're right with not needing a truck the OP should get a stick ranger or something comparable. Will do what he needs easy. If it was possible have a car and use the family truck as necessary?

That's what I'm doing, I drive my civic and my dad drives his vr6 and if either one of us needs the truck it's always there in the driveway.

Can't complain at all.

OP, get a ranger or 150, you might not be the coolest truck in the parking lot, but you'll have more money and afford to take more girls on dates

I will probably look at the 351w f150s. Cheap, and easy to swap to solid axle. No family truck here. My truck will likely do the yard work, and otber chores. I am constantly mountain biking and dirtbiking so it is nice to be able to just throw it into the back of a truck