Sign in to follow this  

Hare scramble 101

Hey guys. Well I finally decided to stop racing my buddies through the woods, and get into something a bit more official. My first race will be end if this month, and I need some basic setup/ gear tips. Not going to win, just gonna have some fun with my fam. I will be c class 30+. Any help is appreciated. Here is what I plan on ordering tomorrow. I am 225 6'. Bike is pretty much stock except for all free mods, new jetting, and sag set front and rear. I am setting fork height this week at the local track with a friend who races much more than I do. He is an MX'r though, he has never run a scramble.

1. Bar busters.

2. New camel back (one without a slow leak) lol.

3. Better skid plate

4. Goggles with tear offs (lots of mud)

5. Chest protector (recommendations??)

General questions.

1. Can I use electric start? Not that I need to, just wondering why nobody does in the videos I have been watching.

2. The cables hanging off the fork make me a bit nervous. These trails are pretty tight with lots of constant branch snaking.

3. Anything else to "tidy up" from you experienced guys?

4. Any quirks from the WR to plan for? (Tools/parts/settings. Ect)

Thanks ahead of time!

• Like 1

Cycra Pro Bends

Fox Air Frame

Yes

Zip tie anything thats loose

Fresh oil and topped off

clean air filter and seal checked, no gaps, side cover on correctly

New spark plug (not easy to change in the field)

Air pressure in tires 12.5, 13 for high speed or rocks (I run slow btw, desert guys run 16)

Fresh tires do wonders (I like the Starcross front, Dunlop rear) replace front if its worn because that's where your balance is.  Front goes out, you go down.

Grips on tight  Bars adjusted to correct angle and tight

Levers lubed, loose enough to turn on the bars but tight enough to hold angle

Cables lubed

Chain adjusted and lubed, brakes checked and pads have sufficient thickness.

tank full of gas

GO HAVE FUN

Get Back to the Truck!!!!!

Edited by ronbuell

Thanks very much for your feedback. I printed out this post to add to my checklist . :)

Looking to go out and just enjoy the ride. :) I will be sure to post lessons learned from the first ride too after I forget something, and make some noob mistakes.

I rode enduro back in the day.  I always chose slower runs because I never was an "A" rider and I knew it, and 24 mph is just too fast an average for me to keep.  Scrambles are a little different in that theres no time keeping involved.

I would expect some tight woods and some open trails where speeds will pick up.  Just ride your pace, and don't let anyone come up and "push" you into riding over your abilities.  When they come up and gun their engine, let them by, you will glad you did, and don't worry about it.  If you find yourself coming up on a slower rider, do the same, they should let you by.  Choose a place carefully.

If you feel like you're riding too fast, you probably are.  I watch out for "close calls".  My personal limit is 2 because I've had a couple of bad incidents now, and the body is just not recovering like it did 20 years ago.  When I have a close call, I now slow down rather than try to prove something.  At my age, I'm just glad I can still ride.  Rode with my son last week and it was great, have a bruise from a fall and a sore hand too.

Just be careful and good luck.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

My advice for your weight would be to gear the bike Down

50t or 51t rear ( 13:50-51) would be my suggestion. Try and gear the bike so 3rd gear will work in all but the slowest corners 3rd is your money gear.

Also, stand up as much as you can.

Again, thanks for the advice. I am currently looking at a 52t. Just know nothing of brands. I did find that third was where I spent a LOT of time in in tight trails. And coming out of them in third with some torque for what I can't see coming would give me a little more confidence.

Just an update. From stock, I raised the forks to the second groove. No head shake and much more confident in the corners. Highly reccomend taking some time to set this if anybody hasn't.

Also learned, when at the beginning of practice or riding, seat the clickers all of the way, them back out to your desired turns. Bike felt a lot better turning left, instead of right, found my left side clicker was one off from my right. DOH!!