Sign in to follow this  

Honda dual sport, vs ktm or husqy or beta etc

Hey guys, so I have been doing a lot of research into the Crf250L. It seems like a great dual sport bike.

However, all i seem to hear about it is about it being heavy and sluggish and better for roads. This is not what i like to hear!

I just recently started researching a little about this other variety of dual sports, like the ktm or husqvarnas. They seem light and compact an agile, all things which the honda is not.

So tell me, are these bikes too high maintenance and too low quality for the price, or are they everything the goold ol honda is not when it comes to a dual sport being trail-capable?

Any opinions or facts would be great!

Depends on your skill level and what you're wanting to achieve. I would pick Ktm, or Husky over the 250l any day. But that's only because I of my riding style. If you're more of a casual rider, and you're looking for more street going vs off road the 250l will be good. The bike according to dirt rider weights in at 320lb without fuel. (2013 model) Shares it's engine with the CBR250. So the 250l is more street bike than anything. Probably less maintenance than the husky or KTM. Sorta like Comparing a station wagon to a sports car tho.

The Japanese concept of dual sport begins with a street bike then adds long travel suspension and semi-knobby tires.  The heart of the bike is for street.

The European concept of dual sport begins in the dirt then adds just enough lights and emission stuff to qualify for a street license.

It all depends on where and what terrain you will be riding.  The CRF250L is a street bike.

The problem with the Husky TE line up is it is no longer made and parts are few and far between.  KTM has the edge.  Beta is coming on strong.

The Japanese are lost and manufacturing street bikes that look like a dirt bike.  The Chinese haven’t a clue as to what a motorcycle is, they just make replicas.

And here we are in the USA manufacturing nothing and hoping someone else will!!!

Good luck!

• Like 1

+1 on both replies except TE parts are far and in-between. For the money these Italian Husqvarna are hard to beat. They have some known issues which are very fixable and if bought used are done. One thing these 2008-2013 Husqvarna don't have is a wide ratio transmission so road use will be buzzing the motor. With that said I put 3800 DS miles on my 2008 TE250 without any problems. I also had a 2010 TE310 which worked just as good. I now have Beta and for DS it works great but not light like any new bikes in the class. I picked up a 2014 Sherco and added the DS kit to it. This is by far a great bike, light and fast for a 300. You can buy demo's for great prices. KTM's are just as good IF you keep clean fuel, remap/set TPS/FI and add cooling items. Since you are in PA you can DS ANY bike you want so your choices are many. I personal would ride all the bikes then choose because they all feel different on the trail.

I rode a CR250l and it was not at all fun off road. Remember any bike can be ridden off road but some are much more fun while not beating your body to death.

Where are you in PA?

I think the drz400, wr250 and klx250 and more dirt bike'ish than the 250l....the 250l is enticing with the styling, fuel injection and especially the price, but yah, it is a street bike in dirt clothes, the 250l doesn't even have adjustable suspension, right there is a big WTF, no thank you!

Thanks for the responses guys. btw weantright, western PA.

It sounds to me like the maintenance on these euros are nore than I should be bargainin for, but are certainly considered. I wonder what kinda on-road fuel milage they get..

It sounds to me like the maintenance on these euros are nore than I should be bargainin for, but are certainly considered. I wonder what kinda on-road fuel milage they get..

My 2008 TE250 got 40mpg single track and 60 on the road. My 2010 TE310 got 20mpg single track and 40 on the road. Very strong motor. My Beta gets 35mpg on single track and 40 on the road. The Sherco is too new but so far it looks like just a tad better than the Beta. KTM's 250-350 gets 50mpg and the 500 40mpg on single track. These single track riding is at trail speeds + some. At race pace I would assume the mileage would drop 2-5mpg.

Maintenance on these bikes are not that much but more than the road DS like WR-r, CRF-l or the DRZ's. For example after the first break-in my 2008 TE250 was a gas and go motor with only one valve shim at 200 hrs. The TE310 was looking to be the same but sold it before the 100 hrs. mark. The Beta hasn't moved yet and I am at 50+/- some hours. The Sherco I haven't checked but at 20 hrs it shows no sign of tight valves. Remember if you stay off the rev limiter and have clean air these bikes last a long time. Parts are on par with other brands and some bikes have wear items that are cheap and easy to replace. BTW on average Euro brands have higher quality components but do come with a price.

I am on the eastern side of Ohio. You are welcome to come a demo all my bikes, Beta, Sherco and a KLX250s. I have a 1 mile woods loop for the demo and other obstacles.

Edited by weantright

The Euro dual sports for the most part are not really designed to be ridden on the road much ---  the ability to tag it is there if you are riding in a national forest area that either requires one, or has some on-road transitions between trails -- basically they are hard core dirt bikes with a small back sprocket and blinkers -- i cant speak for on road mileage of a KTM or similar bike, but i have my 450X tagged , and on a recent 20 mile dirt loop i burned a gallon -- i know this because i topped it off the next morning and went out again  -

-- i'll take a WAG and venture that my X would get around 30mpg putting around on the road and a KTM/Husky/Beta etc is likely similar  ----  but that said, even with a tag , full lights and DOT tires,  the most use my converted X got on the road was in the first week i had it tagged --- after that the fun wore off and the realities of putting around town on a dirt bike sunk in 

The little 250L , OTOH, is designed to be a commuter friendly bike     

A bike not mentioned that is also in the Honda stable is the XR650L though --- great commuter, reliable proven engine, and commonly can find clean ones on the used market for 3k or less.   Not as big a performer on tight trails as a KTM, --- but these bikes used to rule Baja 

i love my plated KTM 450xc-w as a dual sport. it's in a completely different (better) league than any of the japanese dual sports (DRZ, WRR, etc.) in dirt...not even remotely close. the KTM is a dirt bike...the (heavy, poorly suspended) japanese dual sports are not.

it's also better on the road. it has maybe the best dual sport tranny there is...which lets you gear it low enough for technical single track while it can still handle highway just fine. i have mine geared at 13/52 for crawling through tight stuff, and it still cruises lazily at 70mph on the highway. (with my DRZ, on the other hand, you can pick one or the other...either it's geared low enough for technical single track OR it's geared high enough for the highway, but you can't have both at once.)

the KTM also has plenty of torque (the DRZ has some torque...it's OK in that regard, but not great. the WRR has none...the engine is anemic, you have to rev the piss out of it like a 125, but, unlike a 125, it weighs 300lbs).

the light weight/flickability of the KTM makes it great in the city. the tranny lets it cruise comfortably (relatively, not like a goldwing, but more comfy than my DRZ) on the highway. (i do multi-hundred mile road trips on it from time to time.)

don't let the manual service intervals scare you. they are set for hardcore racing. when used as a dual sport, you can stretch them way out. i do change the oil in my KTM more often than my DRZ, but that's it (and changing the oil on my KTM is an easy, 10 minute job). my valves have not moved in 400+ hours.

I would probably be doing a lot of easy trail and quarry type riding, good bit of tough tight trails, and would love a bike that could dominate at that riding but also get me to school.

See, i am that 16 year old kid looking to get his first legal motorcycle, and unfortunately dont even consider having enough to buy a great dirt bike and also a good road bike.

I would probably be doing a lot of easy trail and quarry type riding, good bit of tough tight trails, and would love a bike that could dominate at that riding but also get me to school.

See, i am that 16 year old kid looking to get his first legal motorcycle, and unfortunately dont even consider having enough to buy a great dirt bike and also a good road bike.

At your age,  everything i complain about in riding a dirt bike on the street, you would probably embrace !

An off the showroom KTM/Husky/Beta is definitely the easiest if the funds are there  ----  on the used market, these rascals also command a premium -- but is PA an easy place to register something like a 450X or a real WR ?  

Not going to say its better than a Katoom, but possibly a couple grand cheaper 

Hey guys, so I have been doing a lot of research into the Crf250L. It seems like a great dual sport bike.

However, all i seem to hear about it is about it being heavy and sluggish and better for roads. This is not what i like to hear!

I just recently started researching a little about this other variety of dual sports, like the ktm or husqvarnas. They seem light and compact an agile, all things which the honda is not.

So tell me, are these bikes too high maintenance and too low quality for the price, or are they everything the goold ol honda is not when it comes to a dual sport being trail-capable?

Any opinions or facts would be great!

I have ridden and raced the big five brands both MX and H/S. I had good luck with my ktms. But figured I wouldn't find one affordable. So I started looking for a D/S bike new.

I just went through this same thing looking for a "cheap" dual sport bike.

This is what I learned.

Xr650 is better off road than on.

Klr650 better on road.

Dr650 is decent both.

Ktm690 is decent both.

250's

Wr250 yami. Is best 250 for both.

Klx 250 mid range. But some dislike the jetting issues.

Crf250l is better on road due to the suspension.

Reviews tell you around 19-23hp. This seemed very weak.

So Knowing this. I was undecided. I went to different shops looking at bikes.

I found out that earlier models of the ktm 450exc were street legal. As well as the newer ktm 350-500-530-690. Didn't give them a thought because of new bike prices.

That said I asked the shop owner what years were best. The 08 models had oiling issues with some.

Basically I got a nice 04 450exc cheap.

The 500- 520-525-530 is awesome too.

02-06 450- 520-525 exc model "most" can be had for less than half price of a crf250l new.

So if you want a light bike.reliable bike. With power. Look for a used older KTM.

There's a few right now on bike finds in your area.

Averages

Around here 01-05 xr650's are $4500.00 all day used.

Dr650's $3500.00 used

Ktms $1500-3500.00 used

Klr's just almost new bike prices. So I went KTM.

It does as good as the xr on street. But weighs a lot less.

I can't give mileages basically because I don't care mostly. I know my bike will go as far as I want to ride in a day on the tank of fuel.

Oh and yes "its race ready"!

I can ride MX. H/s. Arena cross or trail ride or street all in one bike.

But yes I even want more power so I will probably pick up a 525exc next just because! I can. Its great being single.

That's all I have for you.

Good luck.

I went and looked at all the D/S bikes the other day and was very clear to me the KTMs would meet my needs in looking for a dule sport enduro bike. Looking for the closest thing to a MX bike I can still ride on the road.

• Like 1

I went and looked at all the D/S bikes the other day and was very clear to me the KTMs would meet my needs in looking for a dule sport enduro bike. Looking for the closest thing to a MX bike I can still ride on the road.

So was I.

KTM is the clear winner of this.

The only questions remaining is which one?

That's totally up to you.

So was I.

KTM is the clear winner of this.

The only questions remaining is which one?

That's totally up to you.

ya but would be nice if there were an easier way to figure out what one you want to go with.  I would like to ride new and used 350, 450, 500, 525, & 530 side by side, same day, same terrain, and even at the track for fun.  I keep wondering if the 350 would be funner to ride for trails and single track.    Picking a new bike always feels like a shot in the dark especially when going new.  

• Like 1

ya but would be nice if there were an easier way to figure out what one you want to go with. I would like to ride new and used 350, 450, 500, 525, & 530 side by side, same day, same terrain, and even at the track for fun. I keep wondering if the 350 would be funner to ride for trails and single track. Picking a new bike always feels like a shot in the dark especially when going new.

Could do a KTM days ride and try.

But doesn't solve the used bike try outs.

I usually buy lightly used or great condition bikes.

Reason for used is most of the time you get the aftermarket goodies and upgrades for the purchased price.

Buy new then you have to spend more adding the extras.

I got really lucky with the 04 I bought. the suspension was even done for my weight and riding style.

After riding it I just knew it was the one.

They had two, 04 & 06 but the 06 even though it was a very slight shade nicer. Still would require suspension upgrade. So I'd have had another $2000.00 more for a newer bike that was barely nicer than mine.

That's why I chose the 04.

I like it.

But will be buying more bikes too.

A 525 is on the short list.

Possibly another 380 or 300?

I don't race anymore (do to health issues) so they don't need to be brand new for me. I just like clean & mechanically solid bikes.

But I could race it if I wished to.

So could someone maybe explain to me what exactly maintenance these euro bikes need that everyone complains about?

And the problem with used crf L's, is tht they dont exist! There are no used ones because theyr all like a year old!

2013-2015 all need valves checked after the first 10hrs. If raced and want to be competitive then piston, rings, valves, oil pump gears,,, need to be replaced every 25-50 hrs when on the limiter. On the trail lighter side you can go 50-100 hrs before anything really needs adjusted. In the past KTM's had main bearing, oiling, injectors, and starters issues that many talk about. Beta's need oil pump gears changed out at 100 hrs. Burg's also had teething issues pre-KTM as well as Husky's. Most if not all issues are fixable and many used bikes are already done.

All the euro bikes are race bikes hybrid and require clean fuel, oil and air. If you mess this up it goes down in a hurry. A CRF, WR, XT or a DRZ all will consume dirt without much issue and will live longer without valve maintainence due to the material they are made from. Plus you are not reving at 13,000 rpms!

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1