Trip to Unadilla pro mx

hey whats up guys I'm planning going to the race this weekend at unadilla this weekend but iv never been up their so i really don't know what to expect. Should i go just for Saturday the actual race or friday/saturday? Also where do you guys stay at? I live close to NYC so i was thinking of staying somewhere in oneonta. just want to go their as prepared as possible post any information you got 

Im coming in from Socal, I plan on goin both Fri and Sat.  Fri has an amateur race.  Its probably going to be pretty tough to get a hotel this late, I booked mine about a week ago and most were already full.  PM is you want to meet up, this will be my first trip to NY, cant wait.

• Like 1

its a large area and the hills are steepest you might ever walk on. i had low traction on my shoes and regretted wearing them it was impossible to make it up certain grass areas, like ice on the dusty grass. i live an hour away and when you go in late you dont deal with any traffic. the early guys go in thursday and rent campsites, the sites are down the road. from what i can see the camp sites are the way to do it. bring a tent, party out and head to the track. in that picture above the am track is behind the hedge row straight back way behind him.

Im coming in from Socal, I plan on goin both Fri and Sat.  Fri has an amateur race.  Its probably going to be pretty tough to get a hotel this late, I booked mine about a week ago and most were already full.  PM is you want to meet up, this will be my first trip to NY, cant wait.

we stayed at the Windam down the road a few years back, very nice and pretty cheap! This year we are just driving down saturday morning for the race! Have fun, its a great place!

I'll be the bald guy with a poorly grown beard if you wanna meet up for a brew :-)

we stayed at the Windam down the road a few years back, very nice and pretty cheap! This year we are just driving down saturday morning for the race! Have fun, its a great place!

I'll be the bald guy with a poorly grown beard if you wanna meet up for a brew :-)

that eliminates about 50% of the pop a poorly grown beard and bald... snake came out of his hole?  :ride:

Unadilla is out in the middle of nowhere.

I've been going for years, but won't be able to make it this year.  I've always stayed in the campground that's about 5 miles north on the same road.  It used to get very wild, but it's much calmer now.  I never make reservations. I just bring a tent.  You can't camp at the track unless you race the amateur races. If you want to party, ask for a spot in the field.  If you want some quiet, good luck, but ask for a spot near the pond.

I usually go Friday and watch the amateurs race for the afternoon.  They race on a completely different track.  During Friday, you'll see people working on the pro track.  We've walked the track on Friday and nobody ever kicked us off.  Sometimes, we would walk into the pro pits on Friday and meet some of the Pros (for free), but last year it took us a couple of tries to get in without someone stopping us at one of the gates. I've never gotten a pit pass, but I'm sure you would get to meet a lot more pros if you did.

We usually get there early on Saturday and set up folding chairs on the big hill.  First come, first serve.  The hill is very steep, so bring a claw hammer with you.  This is used to dig holes in the steep hill for the rear legs of the chair so the chair sits level.  Bring a cooler for snacks and sunscreen and an umbrella for the sun (between motos).  You can also choose to walk around the track all day, but you can see most of the track from the hill.

Make sure you walk over to sky jump (through the new tunnels) during practice.  You have to stand there for a while to appreciate what these guys do.  Also walk up screw-U.  It's not like it looks on TV.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Its fantastic.   And yes one simply must walk up the side of screw you to really appreciate it.  I can not wait.  Also the sky shot....basically when these guys whip this thing it is Gods gift to them of feeling like a rock star for a moment no matter what place rider it is.

• Like 1

I would love too.. should my gf is out of town and I could sneak off for the weekend.. sounds like a good time.  Not sure I will make the new Indiana track race in Crawford, about 3hrs from me

Indiana would be fun to check out too!  Unadilla is about 2.5 from me, perfect to go out, have a good time and still make it home for my toasted cheese dinner!