Sign in to follow this  

unexplainable issues (to me at least)

Fired my bike up last week and immediately noticed a loud grinding noise that quickly went away. Since I had been having trouble with it stalling and now with this new noise, i decided to cancel my ride, later it refused to start at all.

I did some research here and ordered a MCCT, jet kit and carb rebuild kit. I also checked the timing and valve clearances, and changed the oil. Everything checked out fine.

Finished the install of the MCCT and rebiult/ rejetted the carb, but when i put it back together it wouldn't run off choke. Then it refused to start at all and backfires thru the carb. So I went back to the bench, went thru the carb again, blew everything out, and re installed the carb. Same issue. I pulled the plug to check spark and it's only firing when I let off the starter (hold the starter in while grounding the plug and regardless of how long it spins it only sparks when i let off).

I won't be able to tackle the noise issue until it at least runs again...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

yup it was the stator. All the screws were loose, one bolt head was broke off and looks like it destoyed the stator. I called my local dealer and they quoted me $435.00 for a new one! lol. i see some on amazon and ebay for under $100. Are there any that are better than the rest?

Looks like the part that goes around the stator is ok aside from one small groove. Everything stayed pretty well contained. Lucky I guess. Thanks for the advise!!!!

yup it was the stator. All the screws were loose, one bolt head was broke off and looks like it destoyed the stator. I called my local dealer and they quoted me $435.00 for a new one! lol. i see some on amazon and ebay for under $100. Are there any that are better than the rest?

Looks like the part that goes around the stator is ok aside from one small groove. Everything stayed pretty well contained. Lucky I guess. Thanks for the advise!!!!

Definitely do not mess with a used stator, and normally a new oem can be had with gasket under $300 online. If you go new aftermarket and have time you can play with that route. Personnally I don't like doing things twice so I do oem, unless there is an extremely strong reason not to.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Ok, I installed the new stator and it still won't start. Here are the details so far;

It now gets great spark after installing new stator.

fresh fuel

fresh plug

full charge on battery

timing checks out (mark on flywheel matches cam gears and lobes at 10 & 2)

carb is getting fuel (checked float drain)

It spins over fine, it just doesn't even try to fire. Not once.

Any more ideas? Could the loose flywheel bolt have screwed something else up???

ok i got it running. This is how i fixed it....no lie.

After getting insainly mad, I fired up my Honda VFR next to it and screamed at the DRZ "this is what your supposed to do, GOT IT?"

Then I went back over and gave it another try and it fired off. Now it runs like a Honda for the time being....no lie, I have witnesses. lol

• Like 1

Yes occasionally my DRZ refuses to start. The symptom is it spins over too easily - low compression.  Then it starts and runs perfect.  My thought is a piece of carbon gets stuck under a valve and has to get pounded out for it to start.  Happens about once a year.  Never happens on a multi cylinder motor because there is always another cylinder to fire.

I know this is a DRZ forum, but aren't VFR's nice. Jut turned over 72,000 mi.

• Like 1

I know this is a DRZ forum, but aren't VFR's nice. Jut turned over 72,000 mi.

Always lusted for an RC 45 or RC 30, RVF 750, not sure what you called them in the states.

Edited by Black_DRZ