Sign in to follow this  

Mikuni TM38 85A stock float level? how to measure float level XR650L

As the title suggests, I need to know the standard float height for the Mikuni TM38 85A. I have an XR650L with the following recommended jetting as read on the TT forum. Main 240, pilot 22.5, needle 6FJ41, fuel screw 1 to 1 1/2 turns out. The mixture is too rich that it billows black soot all over the neighborhood. I have a stock motor but have a UNI filter and WB pipe. I also need to know how to measure the float height. from what i've researched you measure the float height from the gasket surface (not the lip of the carb) to the float arm. I gather that the float arm is where the float pins are resting on? Is this correct? Can't do the measurements though without the stock float height recommendation. Thanks guys and gals...

I guess nobody is running a Mikuni TM38 on their XRL's but me?

I've got one on my XR600 but do not know enough to help you sorry. Have searched high and low and can't find much solid info about them.

Thanks for the info. I figure the float height is set about 18mm +/-2mm Now i just need to know how to measure the float height. IIRC, its measured from the gasket surface to the float arm? Do i adjust the float by bending the arm or is it the float tang where the float needle rests on?