Sign in to follow this  

cleaning carbon deposits

anyone know of a easy efficient way to clean carbon deposits off power valves on 2 strokes without hundreds of dollars in chemicals is there a general household substance that will do it ?? I got a 2001 kdx 200 and the kips valve is fairly gummed up and I bought a new barrel and want to get all kips parts as clean s possible before reassembly thanks in advance for any tips

anyone know of a easy efficient way to clean carbon deposits off power valves on 2 strokes without hundreds of dollars in chemicals is there a general household substance that will do it ?? I got a 2001 kdx 200 and the kips valve is fairly gummed up and I bought a new barrel and want to get all kips parts as clean s possible before reassembly thanks in advance for any tips

pbblaster + a day or two = gunk falls off

do not use pbblaster on OLD seals, old plastic, old fibers, old.... stuff, it may eat it. 

Not sure of the environmental restrictions down there. But here in the States (most states) we can get a gallon of carburetor cleaner which is very powerful stuff. It''ll clean off the carbon in 30 min or so. Brass and aluminum should not exceed 45 min. Steel is good for however long it takes. But usually after 30 min or so it brushes off.

If you have Girly hands, wear rubber gloves.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/gnk/cc3k.jpg

If you have Girly hands, wear rubber gloves.

way to keep that old school mentality going :)  

I will go old school too with this commercial jingle:

"E-Z Off oven cleaner makes oven cleaning easier" (and power valves)

I suggest you don't let it set on aluminum for more than 15 minutes.  Rinse thoroughly and reapply as needed.  All that carbon built up over years, not one hour, so don't worry about doing it well and taking your time.

• Like 1

Good stiff wire brush and some elbow grease. Maybe a little carb cleaner.

Be very careful with any of the caustic cleaners like oven cleaner, they work good and all but they will corrode the hell out of any aluminum if you let it sit to long(10-15 mins MAX)