Sign in to follow this  

Jetting for the CRF230L

Hello everybody! I'm Ben, I'm new here, and I'm new to riding as of a few months ago. I bought a 09 Honda CRF230L and I've been starting to upgrade / mod it. Thus far, I've done the usual maintenance of new chain, sprockets, breaks, spark plug, oil, tires, and air filter. I put a FMF Q4 slip on pipe on, a Moose Racing jet kit, and opened up the air box. I've been told a valve adjustment would be a good idea too since it has a little over 8k miles on it now. 

My question has to do with the jet kit. I installed the Moose kit with the 128 main jet, I think the needle is the 3rd position from the top as per the directions, and the fuel screw is 2 1/2 turns out. 

I feel like it is running lean down low and a bit rich up high as far as the throttle goes. The bike seems to run fine and started on the first try after installing the parts. The top end power is a little better but low end is noticeably weaker. At high speeds it feels like I get a little more speed before WOT and lose some at WOT. It does not pop or sputter when letting off the throttle but it seems to mis-fire once in a while at higher speeds on the road (50-55mph). It does stall once in a while if I'm working it hard at low speeds and I stop and let it idle. I've been told this is something that is not abnormal for air-cooled engines. I turned the idle up a little, which helped. I may have accidentally turned it down while installing the jet kit anyways. I've never opened a carb before this one and I'm still surprised I got it back together on the first try. 

What I'm wondering is, with the air box open and the new pipe installed, should I use a larger pilot jet than 35? I just ordered a 40 and 45 since the jet kit did not come with any pilot jets. Is my main jet a bit too big at 128? I've read that some people have had better luck with 120, and others use 132. 

What throws me off is that most of the info out there is for the CRF230F and not the CRF230L. Since the carbs are different I'm presuming that the jetting that works for one might not suit the other? Any suggestions for jetting the CRF230L would be appreciated. 

Oh, and I'll be removing the emissions system soon. Would that require any adjustment to the carb or jetting?

Thanks,

Ben

I attached a pic of the bike right after I bought it. Looks better with the new tires on it.

edukrAy.jpg

I wouldn't do any tuning until the valve lash was adjusted, spark plug replaced

and air filter replaced.

If the valve clearance is off, jetting wont fix it.

Edited by atown8605

I wouldn't do any tuning until the valve lash was adjusted, spark plug replaced

and air filter replaced.

If the valve clearance is off, jetting wont fix it.

The spark plug and air filter are new, the ones in there when I got it were probably original. The previous owner didn't do much maintenance.

In the service manual the valve adjustment seems a bit more intricate than installing new jets. Is this something that a novice can do or is it something best left to the shop? So far the jets are the most complex thing that I've done to this bike and I'd never seen the inside of a carb before doing so.

I can understand your caution but CRF's are easy do-it-yourself bikes.

Here's a youtube video:

that shows how to adj the valves on a Chinese 200.

Since you have the manual, watch the video and ask some questions. You'll need a .1mm feeler gauge,

a 10mm hex wrench and I like to use Motion Pro's tappet wrenches. I'm sure some one on TT will have

some suggestions and solutions as far as tools go.

Edited by atown8605

I can understand your caution but CRF's are easy do-it-yourself bikes.

Here's a youtube video:

that shows how to adj the valves on a Chinese 200.

Since you have the manual, watch the video and ask some questions. You'll need a .1mm feeler gauge,

a 10mm hex wrench and I like to use Motion Pro's tappet wrenches. I'm sure some one on TT will have

some suggestions and solutions as far as tools go.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out and see what tools I can get my hands on and what I'll have to buy. I keep my bike at a friends house and he probably has most of what I'll need from the sounds of it. I just hope the gaskets are in good shape. So far I've been lucky with everything except the carb. I have to replace the gasket on the bottom where the floats are. I'm using that make a gasket stuff rated for gas ATM, but the right gasket is on the way.