Sign in to follow this  

Maybe your last chance to get Raptor footpegs....

Apparently a company in china is making cheap to-the-T immitation ti footpegs using lower grade material. As a result, Raptor is shutting down business.

This is what happens when chinese companies copy patented products. Please make sure you know where your parts are coming from, as there is no reason we should support chinese companies over legitimate companies.

I have a set of raptor pegs and they are fantastic. I reccommend getting a set, despite the price. But you better hurry.

• Like 4

So, are you saying that a Chinese company has copied the Raptor pegs down to them even being titanium or are they steel/aluminum?

As for the actual Raptor pegs, IMO, there isn't any set of pegs worth $350 when a sub $100 set will work just as well. Yep, great quality and all but not nearly worth the price, again, IMO. I think they just priced themselves out of the market as most people just aren't going to spend that much on pegs.

• Like 5

Any link to this news?

To be fair, no one really knows why Raptor is shutting down except the bosses themselves. A patent of titanium footpegs? That's a hard one to believe as they come stock on Yamahas. Blaming something off-shore is a easy target though...

Could it be the high price tag and sales being low?

Maybe the cost of materials has jumped or the cost of labour?

Maybe the "pros" have demanded too much and run them dry?

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

If I read your post correctly, Raptor is shutting down due to capitalism. If their products are as good as you claim, they shouldn't be worried about a chinese repo putting them out of business. 

• Like 2

I am no patent lawyer but patenting a footpeg would be nearly impossible.  The only thing I could see them being able to patent with their design would be the composition of, or process to create the titanium.  The Chinese company, as you stated, uses a lower grade titanium.  That would mean any patented titanium composition or patented process to create the titanium wouldn't be violated.

Email I received yesterday:

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Raptor Titanium <wrote:

Good day.

Following information we have received from a trusted source we are aware that our products have now been copied by a company in China and are being produced at a much cheaper rate than what we can manufacture original Raptor Titanium parts for here in the UK. The copies now being produced in China we understand are an exact imitation of Raptor Titanium footpegs, however significantly cheaper material, cutting and labour costs mean we are no longer competitive or the sole, unique manufacturer of these products. 

Based on this we have taken the decision to discontinue manufacturing titanium footpegs at our factory in the UK.

Apologies for this situation, we have only known this for a few days but we cannot risk continuing manufacturing here when threatened with being undercut by cheaper Chinese imitations, particularly when titanium footpegs are the only product we manufacture and our future sales we feel are unacceptably compromised so it is with regret I am forced into taking this action.

Apologies for the informality but I have a lot to sort out and am sending out group e-mails, please contact me ASAP to clarify our situation with agreements and relationships we have set up.

Thank you for your support and co-operation over the years, and best of luck for the future.

Regards

Jack Ingham Jnr

Raptor Titanium Ltd

As I stated in my review of these pegs, the price is not for the faint of heart, and is not meant to target casual riders. Complain all you want, but they are good pegs.

• Like 2

I think that some people fail to realize that this product was NOT intended for anyone but serious racers who care about every incremental advantage that they can get. They never cared about the XR400 woods rider. That was never their intended target audience. Just like Ti fork & shock springs. The majority of riders are not candidates, so to make money, they had to be expensive. It's not a volume product.

• Like 3

I think that some people fail to realize that this product was NOT intended for anyone but serious racers who care about every incremental advantage that they can get. They never cared about the XR400 woods rider. That was never their intended target audience. Just like Ti fork & shock springs. The majority of riders are not candidates, so to make money, they had to be expensive. It's not a volume product.

First off I am not in that demographic that would use these pegs.  My question would be, wouldn't that target group they were going after still prefer these pegs over the knockoffs simply due to it's advantages in metallurgy and quality? 

• Like 3

First off I am not in that demographic that would use these pegs.  My question would be, wouldn't that target group they were going after still prefer these pegs over the knockoffs simply due to it's advantages in metallurgy and quality? 

You'd think. Say 80% (most) do. For all we know, Carbon Raptor isn't in a position to absorb a 20% hit. A lot of these businesses don't have huge margins, having a health dose of a labor of love. But, all speculation. Nobody knows the financials of the business.

• Like 2

So, are you saying that a Chinese company has copied the Raptor pegs down to them even being titanium or are they steel/aluminum?

As for the actual Raptor pegs, IMO, there isn't any set of pegs worth $350 when a sub $100 set will work just as well. Yep, great quality and all but not nearly worth the price, again, IMO. I think they just priced themselves out of the market as most people just aren't going to spend that much on pegs.

This is the other side of the coin to the OP's argument.  Even the Bible says this in Proverbs 18:17: The first to plead his case seems right, Until another comes and examines him.

$350 for a set of foot pegs! I wonder why business isn't booming at that price.

Edited by dirteta

Damn Chinese.  I heard a story about how they stole technology/designs from a US company making solar panels and was able to make them so well that the US company stopped making them and just bought the Chinese ones.

This story may or may not of been told to me by someone who may or may not of been really drunk so...not sure if it is 100% true but this thread made me think of it.

As for $350 foot pegs I definitely am not the rider they were targeting.  I don't have the money nor the skill to justify purchasing them.

You'd think. Say 80% (most) do. For all we know, Carbon Raptor isn't in a position to absorb a 20% hit. A lot of these businesses don't have huge margins, having a health dose of a labor of love. But, all speculation. Nobody knows the financials of the business.

Oh, I realize their pegs weren't for riders like myself. However, that is/was part of their problem. Too limited a market, during not so good economic times, has disaster written all over it. Sadly, thier business model was weak and it cost them. Maybe they should have diversified more? Maybe they should have made some cheaper pegs from steel and aluminum with lower price points to help support the production of their TI pegs? Maybe they should have gotten into others areas as well, triple clamps, ridsers/adapters, controls, etc. to help support making a top tier peg?

Oh, I realize their pegs weren't for riders like myself. However, that is/was part of their problem. Too limited a market, during not so good economic times, has disaster written all over it. Sadly, thier business model was weak and it cost them. Maybe they should have diversified more? Maybe they should have made some cheaper pegs from steel and aluminum with lower price points to help support the production of their TI pegs? Maybe they should have gotten into others areas as well, triple clamps, ridsers/adapters, controls, etc. to help support making a top tier peg?

They should have done exactly this. I think they are using the China company as an excuse to shut down. They did it to themselves really