Sign in to follow this  

Tried Jumping

I've been riding dirt bikes and quads on and off for about 12 years. I started on a dirt bike at 18, but never really was very good at riding. I've had a couple sport quads and a coupe bikes but currently don't have anything.

My neighbor has a brute force 650 and a 300. We went riding this past Sunday. I was on the 300 and the trails we went to had jumps everywhere. I had always been real cautious and to be honest a little afraid of jumping. I figured what the hell these weren't too big. Once I tried it a few times I realized what I was missing. I've never had so much fun riding ever, and I was on a BF 300.

My questions are, is it easier to jump a sport quad than that 550lb brute force? Is a lighter machine less tiring to ride hard? I can tell you that my whole body is still sore right now but man it was so worth it. Once I got comfortable doing it it felt like I was in a rhythm and riding that thing pretty hard.

Edited by JFortner5

Yes. Sport bikes are designed to hit jumps, 4x4's are not. 

Do not hit jumps on a 4x4 utility bike. The suspension is NOT meant to handle it in any way shape or form. A lighter machine is far easier to handle, that's why sport bikes are so much simpler bikes (chain driven, straight axle out back, 2 wheel drive). 

Find yourself a nice 400ex and enjoy. 

Yeah, I would not jump on utility quads as they don't have the suspension travel as sport bikes. I have ridden and owned just about everything and one of the best bikes I've owned was the 1986/1988 honda TRX 250R. They are extremely light weight and so much after market parts avail u can set the bike for woods / racing / jumping etc. plus engine rebuilds are super cheap. Prob the best off road sport bike built and it has great suspension travel. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407277466.733171.jpg

Edited by KDXRon
  • Like 1

I know they aren't meant for jumping and I'm not talking big jumps. It just so happened where we went had several jumps in the trail and I figured what the heck.

I got over my fear of leaving the ground, I just happened to be on a utility. Honestly I never got more than 4 feet off the ground but hey you have to start somewhere. I do not plan on doing anything more with that brute force.

I had a 400EX, but it's been so long ago I barely remember riding it. More recently I had a Z400 but had some issues so I never really got to do more than mess around in a field with it.

Buy a sport quad before attempting any jumping. Utility bikes are not in any way shape or form designed to leave the ground. 

I know. If it were mine I wouldn't jump it, and I didn't really want to but the owner of the quad encouraged it so I figured what the heck.

I am planning on buying myself a new ride, just waiting to save enough money.