Sign in to follow this  

S to SM convert question

So I am currently converting my 2013 S to a SM. Before I purchased anything for my swap I tried to read as much as could about others doing this. So I found a set of used 09 SM wheels from a fellow TT and I had them trued by a technician to start off. Later I got a used S rear rotor to make my swap back and forth easier. I just ordered a 320mm kit for the front but as the bike sits right now it has my stock S front rotor. During the swap I noticed I definitely need to shorten my chain so that’s number one on my list to do. Next I am having a tire and chain rub issue. This is where I need some input from those of you that have done this swap. I wrapped the rims with Bridgestone battleax Hypersport S20 rubber. The front is 120/70-17, mounted with no issue. The rear is a 150/60-17 and it seems to rub the chain. Do I need to change the rear to a 140/70-17? It seems other folks are using a 150/60-17 with the SM rear swing arm without issue. Also I found one thread that a guy put the same rear tire I have on his warp 9 wheels without rub. So since his rear is a 4.25 and mine is a 4.50 is that why he is getting by with the same size tire?

I am not sure the best way to fix this issue. Could the guys that went from S to SM please share some tire size/brand and rim size details with me? Thank you!

-Zach

without a SM chain slider,  this will happen,  just happend to me on me conversion from a ''REAL S' to a ''WANNABE SM''

Buy this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-400E-400S-SM-Supermoto-Front-Chain-Slider-/120984024661?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2b35b655&vxp=mtr

Comes in yellow,  black or blue,   i got black,  offer him $40 shipped,  thats what i paid for mine,  btw it happend to me witha stock 140 size tire,  so forget about using a 160..

tire issue.jpg

• Like 2

I just wanted to post a few pics of my project so far.

And the chain rub.

1407272894382.jpg

1407272917419.jpg

1407272927157.jpg

1407272957639.jpg

• Like 1

I just wanted to post a few pics of my project so far.

And the chain rub.

Thats a great looking bike,  black with the MRD pipe looks great IMO.

go to a stock 140 tire,  your rear tire is NO BUENO on this bike. 

• Like 1

And why I was wondering how guys are fitting 150/60 on a S. I guess I'll see if that chain slider makes a difference before I blow another 100 bones on this project. You know it started on budget. I picked up the wheels for a decent price so I splurged a little on tires and that 320mm rotor. The wife already tells me the post man is gonna start stopping at our house for lunch. It's like Christmas everyday between car parts and bike parts. Lol.

• Like 1

Yeah. That's why I thought I may need to down size :(

The chain and the tire should not contact each other when you are sitting still like that.

You should be able to offset the rear rim to get the clearance you need. Or you can get a 140 rear tire. Or maybe your spacers are wrong  :excuseme:

I have a 150 tire on my Warp 9 rim with the stock S chain slider and have minimal chain slap.

• Like 2

I run a Michelin Pilot Road 3 2CT on my SM and don't have any issues with chain/tire contact. It had happened previously when the non- O ring chain wore out (lots of side play)and slack was excessive. The fix came with a new x-ring chain, proper slack and a precision front/rear alignment.

1407292345539.jpg

1407292405753.jpg

The chain and the tire should not contact each other when you are sitting still like that.

You should be able to offset the rear rim to get the clearance you need. Or you can get a 140 rear tire. Or maybe your spacers are wrong :excuseme:

I have a 150 tire on my Warp 9 rim with the stock S chain slider and have minimal chain slap.

+1

How much space do you have between the right side of the tire and the swingarm? Fix the offset. Do it on the bike.

Thats a great looking bike,  black with the MRD pipe looks great IMO.

go to a stock 140 tire,  your rear tire is NO BUENO on this bike. 

thanks I am happy with the way it turned out too.

You should be able to offset the rear rim to get the clearance you need. Or you can get a 140 rear tire. Or maybe your spacers are wrong  :excuseme:

I was thinking about that option to offset the rim, but wouldn't I have to do the front as well? I'll have to look into that process further. Seems the easiest thing to do is just go to a 140.

+1

How much space do you have between the right side of the tire and the swingarm? Fix the offset. Do it on the bike.

I have loads of room on the right. Over all I think I need about 1/8"-1/4" to clear the chain. I'm not sure I can offset that much. :excuseme:

And why I was wondering how guys are fitting 150/60 on a S. I guess I'll see if that chain slider makes a difference before I blow another 100 bones on this project. You know it started on budget. I picked up the wheels for a decent price so I splurged a little on tires and that 320mm rotor. The wife already tells me the post man is gonna start stopping at our house for lunch. It's like Christmas everyday between car parts and bike parts. Lol.

Welcome to the club !
  • Like 1

I did the same thing to my S.  I actually have the exact same set-up as you.  I got stock DRZ400sm wheels off of ebay and mounted the bridgestones s20's as well(same exact size, 150/60/17), with a stock S rotor.  I don't have any issues with my chain hitting my tire and I don't have a SM chain guide either.  I did a lot of research on the swap too, before I did it.  I swear that during my search I read that the rims are laced offset.  I could be wrong but, if that's true when your guy trued the rim he may have fixed the offset.  Not sure if that makes sense or not, but than again if that was the case your rotor wouldn't line up with your caliper either.  Hmmmm, I'll go take a look at my bike and see if I can tell if it's offset or not and post again.   

• Like 1

I did the same thing to my S.  I actually have the exact same set-up as you.  I got stock DRZ400sm wheels off of ebay and mounted the bridgestones s20's as well(same exact size, 150/60/17), with a stock S rotor.  I don't have any issues with my chain hitting my tire and I don't have a SM chain guide either.  I did a lot of research on the swap too, before I did it.  I swear that during my search I read that the rims are laced offset.  I could be wrong but, if that's true when your guy trued the rim he may have fixed the offset.  Not sure if that makes sense or not, but than again if that was the case your rotor wouldn't line up with your caliper either.  Hmmmm, I'll go take a look at my bike and see if I can tell if it's offset or not and post again.   

I was actually finding the same thing recently. I should have also mentioned that the guy I bought the wheels from had them torn apart so he could "clean everything". So I laced them back up and had them trued. I haven't gotten a chance to post recently but on Sunday I started fiddling with the rear rim and spokes. I managed to get the rim to offset to the right to just clear the chain by loosening the sprocket side spokes and tightening the rotor side in 1/4 turn increments and everything seems A OK! :thumbsup: I took it for a short trip and I don’t have any more chain interference. Over all I have about 1-2mm clearance. I'll get some pics up later.

Thank you all for the help it was much appreciated.  :ride: 

Dang, wished I would have seen this sooner. I just installed an oem SM chain guide for about $10 more. On the oem one I had to shave it down in a couple areas for my S swing arm.

For me, my wheel is a 5" wide and a 140 stretchs goofy, I'm going back to a 150 after this one wears out. Correct me if I'm wrong but the SM has a 4.5" wide wheel right? Which a 140 would fit on correctly.