Sign in to follow this  

Australia Moving to Oz, what do I need to know?

Hi, my wife and I are making plans to move to Australia next year.  We haven't decided where to move yet as that will depend on me finding work but the most likely areas are Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, or Perth.  I currently have a 2004 Yamaha WR250F that has been made street legal here in the US.  I have been doing a little research and it's not very clear to me what it will take for me to get my bike properly registered in the merry old land of Oz.  Also, do I need to buy a new helmet?  The helmet I currently have is DOT and ECE certified but I just looked at the Victoria Road Safety website and they listed 4 different certifications that are JAS-ANZ approved.  Can I only buy these sort of helmets in Australia or New Zealand?  Or can I buy them in the US too as things are much cheaper here.  Do I need to install a catch can and route my carb tubes into it?  Also, is Sea Foam gasoline treatment available in Australia?  I love this stuff and so does my bike.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that would be a cool place to live! Maybe time for an upgrade to a street legal 450F...right out of the box, isn't that nice?

• Like 1

You will need a new helmet mate that has the Australian approved sticker on it. Which can only be bought in OZ or NZ you may get one online but not sure. As for bike all you need is headlight, horn, indicators, brake light, taillight, license plate light and road legal tyres you should be sweet shouldn't need a catch can either. Not sure about the sea foam though.

All the best with your move mate you'll love oz!

Thanks for the replies.  I used to have 450 and it was a bit too much for me but I hear Australia has lots of sand on the trails instead of the super tight and technical trails I have in the Northeast.  I'm thinking of getting a big bore kit, cams, and porting work for more power.  My WR has so many improvements it would take a small fortune to repeat all the work on a new bike.  But I must admit the Husky TE310 and KTM 350 EXC-F are also looking really sweet.

Gotta love Aussie helmet laws.  Oh well I've been itching for a new helmet anyway.  I've got most of the street legal bells and whistles except for a street legal front tire and indicators but I had those on my list to buy.  You don't know about Sea Foam!  This stuff is awesome!  I've used many other gasoline stablizers and cleaners and my carb still got gummed up after winter storage.  Only Sea Foam kept my carb clean and I used Sea Foam to clean up after the other products.  Well, I just did a quick search and I found one website (www.gumtree.com.au) selling it for $26, whoa.  I can buy it here in the US for $9.  So I guess I'll be stocking up.

No need for storage here in winter you can ride all year long :)

You could probably get away with keeping your current helmet I've never been asked to show my helmet before so you may get away with it.

Yeah bring plenty of supplies with you our price for stuff is ridiculous over here basically double price for the same equipment.

Melbourne, Adelaide,Sydney, or Perth. = cold in winter

Brisbane, best weather all year round

Yeah, I already know about the high prices on so many things especially electronics oh and the cost of petrol brings a tear to my eye.  I didn't know Perth got cold in the winter I always pictured it be hot all the time.  My wife and I would love to live either in Melbourne or Brisbane (I even know how to properly pronounce the names of those cities in the Aussie way, instead of the typical American way).  My wife is Australian and we go back all the time and she has family in Melbourne, Iluka (near Brisbane), and Mackay.  Plus I lived up in Townsville for 6 months.  We can't wait to move but we are in the process of me getting permanent residency which is a major pain.

• Like 1

Looking at where Australia is on the map I don't see how it could be cold. But cold is subjective,... or is it objective. Anyway. it must be expensive if someone in NJ say's it's expensive. 

expensive isn t the word... i m floored every time i go home at the prices... 

Then again, I just paid $9 for a 220 gm jar of Vegemite which you could probably buy for $3 in Oz and you can't buy Crown Lager here in the US.  So those nearly make up for the higher costs!  For sure where I live in New Jersey the cost of living here is pretty high especially real estate.  I am a little concerned about how much paper work and cost it will be to have my bike processed through customs and it's a little confusing.

i would sell the bike here and buy a used one over there... i understand there is a mountain of paperwork and that even that doesn t guarantee it ll work out 100%... a bike there will be spendy but at least you won t have the PITA of importing...

i buy the man size vegimite.... 2.5 KG.... over 5 lb of the stuff.... to quote an american mate of mine.... 'what do you need to do your roof ?' 

:)

ever paid $45 for a fifth of JD ?? you will in oz... 

good luck with the move... have fun !!

Registering your wr here would be a total bitch because of our stupid &%$#@!ing adr compliance plates. Last time I checked to import a bike you have to apply and send and the customs or whoever can reject it and crush it if all isn't in order. This was a few years back but probably not much different. Had a mate who had his japanese car crushed because of some paperwork problems.

For helmets I wouldn't really worry too much. I've had helmets from overseas that had no australian sticker on it. Same shit with tyres, although some places can be jerks for yearly registration checks. Only difference is the road legal ones cost more. I don't know if a catch can for the carb is a requirement elsewhere but I never had problems getting my bike passed with vents straight to the ground for the carb and the radiator. Similarly, my 636 tank vent went straight to the ground too.

For WRs the 400s/426s/450s have been the most popular dirtbikes here every year since release I believe. There are heaps of them here and they're relatively cheap, same with the 250s. One option is to break your bike down and post it in parts, then bolt it all into an Australian WR frame. I got a WR400F frame for $300 and there's a 250F frame on ebay for 400 right now...

Riding terrain varies. The base is sandstone but here on the east coast of nsw it's still rock and hills.

This is all the pics I have of that

full1_zpsdfc80755.jpg

full11_zps2afe9da1.jpg

Here's a good idea of WR250f prices but I have seen ones around '01 '02 priced at 2k.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/bikes?Q=%28%28%28Make%3D[Yamaha]%29%26%28Model%3D[WR250F]%29%29%26%28%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D[brand%20new%20bikes%20available]%29|%28SiloType%3D[brand%20new%20bikes%20in%20stock]%29%29|%28SiloType%3D[Dealer%20used%20bikes]%29%29|%28SiloType%3D[Demo%20%26%20near%20new%20bikes]%29%29|%28SiloType%3D[Private%20used%20bikes]%29%29%29%26%28Service%3D[bikesales]%29&Sort=Price&Offset=0&Limit=15

As for prices of things, they seem high but wages and benefits make up the difference. Also, for products you can always buy them from ebay or whatever, I've never been charged an import tax or anything. I buy all of my bike parts, gear, and textbooks and stuff from ebay, amazon, and forums.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and if I don't know I can call the RTA or whoever to check for you.

Mr_Motocross, that pic looks lovely.  It's the kind of terrain I absolutely love.  Thanks for all the info.  I am definitely going to try to get permission to ship my bike first as I really love my bike in it's current configuration.  I am willing to go through all the customs documentation fiery hoops.  What' really good to know is that bit you put about buying stuff off of ebay and not being taxed like crazy on that stuff.

Also, are there other good Australian web forums and websites for trail riders?  Or is Thumpertalk the best one?  I've found a few others but they don't look as nice as TT.

Glad to help.

Have a look at http://www.dirtbikeworld.net Seems pretty active but I come straight here because there's more information I think. If you're looking for people and places to ride there are state forums on there. I never really bothered though because directly opposite my house is that forest where the pics were taken. That sort of terrain is pretty much standard nsw and vic I think unless heading inland.

On this map, the red in the south east marks good riding. Been to Perth and Adelaide and they are both flat lol Everything in Perth was a lot more expensive too.

GA1073.jpg

• Like 1

Theres plenty of WR frames at wreckers on Ebay, they have the ADR plates so it wouldnt  be too difficult to register your WR over here. 

Hope it all goes well with the move , dirtbikeworld.net  is a good Aussie dirtbike forum , look me up . My nickname is Rubbergloves .

Adam

American helmets are mostly illegal in oz cause of the different safety requirements. Your bike will only need basic mods to be street legal but make sure it is 100% legal before you ride it or the cops will impound it and eventually crush or sell it.

Shouldn't be too hard to get the bits you need I have zero pollution craps on my bike and have never had any problems. +1 on the crown larger but now there's crown golden ale & my word your in for a tasty frosty delight. EBay is your friend for pretty much everything here..