Sign in to follow this  

Lost tip of finger

Hey y'all I recently had a little boating accident and tore off the end of my left ring finger. I had surgery yesterday and they did a skin graft. Right now my middle and ring fingers are awkwardly sown together.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

How long before I'll be back on my dirt bike again?

OUCH! Yes, I had a similar injury. I had severed the tip and top half of the little finger on my right hand when a sash cord broke on a window I was opening and the top half of the window came down, guillotining the finger between the frame and the window lock. The pain was really quite exquisite and I'm embarrassed as a nurse to admit, the sight of it nearly made me pass out.

The emergency room doc removed the damaged top of my finger (imagine the nail and nail bed gone to the first knuckle) but was able to stitch the tip back together. Bone was visible. He said if I had damaged 1mm more he would have had to amputate the tip end completely so I was lucky. But the tip of my finger was pretty mangled and nasty looking.

Healing will take some time, especially since you have a graft. Mine was a good 8 weeks before I started seeing some real improvement. Longer for my nail to decide it was going to grow back, deformed, but hey, at least it's there. The tip end of my finger is hyper sensitive and at the same time, slightly numb. You will probably be off your bike until they are certain that the skin graft is going to take and your fingers are 'separate entities" again.  I had no skin graft, just a heavy finger guard and bandage that made life especially challenging for awhile. Just keep it clean and dry. If you take care of it you will be surprised at how fast it will heal and how soon you will be back on your bike. Usually it takes 6-8 weeks for the body to completely heal such a wound though so be patient with it.

Good luck. I can well sympathize and empathize with you.

Thanks redhead, and sorry to hear you had something similar happen. I was planning on racing near the beginning of next month, guess that probably won't be happening.

Why would a fingertip injury keep you from racing?  Tape it up good and go ride.

Edit :  I was thinking left hand, and I have a Rekluse.  Heal fast!

Edited by Still Bill

Doc says if im not careful the skin graft will get torn off easily. He checked it out yesterday and said everything is healing well so they scheduled surgery to have my fingers separated in a week and a half

• Like 1

Good to hear that you are on the mend. So did they do a sort of pedicle graft on your finger? You mentioned that the ring finger was attached to your middle finger.

Yep, skin grafts are tricky animals. I have seen some that fail no matter how well you take care of them. Glad to hear that your's is doing well. I laughingly said about my amputation that you don't realize how much you use that little finger until you can't use that little finger. Especially when you are typing.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408675896.489460.jpg

My fingers are attached like this. As you can see I still have some of my nail. Most of the damage was done on the underside. It's healing pretty well but I'm sick of having theses two fingers attached. Oh well.. Surgery tomorrow. They took skin from my middle and put it on my ring finger while it was still attached to my middle finger. Then took skin from my arm and put it on my middle finger.

Edited by ethanjsr

It's amazing what they can do isn't it? My husband had a pedicle graft done on his nostril after he had a small lesion removed. They took a flap of skin from his cheek, twisted it around and used it to plug the hole they made in his nostril. He wore it like that for 10 days before he went back, they detached the graft from his cheek and did the final stitching effectively plugging the hole they had made. Almost ten years later we still chuckle when he has to 'shave' his nose where the piece of cheek tissue continues to grow beard hair for him.

It's inconvenient now but the end results will be worth the hassle for you. Looks like everything is healing well for you. Hope your detachment surgery went well.

• Like 1