Sign in to follow this  

Cafe Racer

So, I have two bikes in the garage. This one:

DUCATISPORTCLASSICSport1000-122_3.jpg

And this one:

suzuki-dr-z400sm-3_600x0w.jpg

One is much better looking, but the other one is more fun to ride. I would like to make the bottom one look as much like the top one as possible.

I think it would involve a new tank (mate bottom of DRZ tank to top of UJM tank?), a new subframe, seat, rear cowl, rearsets, clip ons, headlight and front fender. I've seen a couple Roland Sands KTMs, but I'm not convinced it's his (their?) finest work. The thing I'm honestly the most concerned about, is that it will mess up with F/R weight balance. Anyone done anything like this? Got advice?

• Like 1

I'm sure if you did ALL of that you would probably have a Cafe racer that didn't run like a SM anymore! Just my person thoughts. Between new rearsets, clip on, tank and seat you would just change the seating posture and it would probably only handle as good as the one above but be taller than hell! But you never know till you try!

_572_zpse8decaf1.jpg_571_zps0790ec26.jpg_57_zpsf1f1310f.jpg

Personally i like this :p Remove the Airbox and fit a pod filter, remove the expansion tank, angle the subfram down a bit so its on the same line as the bottom of the tank, fit a more cafe racer style seat, possibly even a very small digital speedo, ditch the indicators, mirrors and the rad fan.. hmm i think i could always find something i would want to change :L

Edited by Gloamhawk
  • Like 1

So, I have two bikes in the garage. This one:

DUCATISPORTCLASSICSport1000-122_3.jpg

And this one:

suzuki-dr-z400sm-3_600x0w.jpg

One is much better looking, but the other one is more fun to ride. I would like to make the bottom one look as much like the top one as possible.

I think it would involve a new tank (mate bottom of DRZ tank to top of UJM tank?), a new subframe, seat, rear cowl, rearsets, clip ons, headlight and front fender. I've seen a couple Roland Sands KTMs, but I'm not convinced it's his (their?) finest work. The thing I'm honestly the most concerned about, is that it will mess up with F/R weight balance. Anyone done anything like this? Got advice?

That is one nice Ducati.  What model/year?  Custom?  Who did the work?  I too like the cafe racer look.  I personally think that the RS KTM cafe racer looks bad ass!  I like that orange one.  Since I saw pics of the KTM's by RS I've been thinking about converting a bike to a cafe/streetfighter.  Unfortunately I think doing something like that is way beyond my capabilities.  If you do it to the DRZ keep us posted!

That is one nice Ducati.  What model/year?  Custom?  Who did the work?  I too like the cafe racer look.  I personally think that the RS KTM cafe racer looks bad ass!  I like that orange one.  Since I saw pics of the KTM's by RS I've been thinking about converting a bike to a cafe/streetfighter.  Unfortunately I think doing something like that is way beyond my capabilities.  If you do it to the DRZ keep us posted!

2006 Sport Classic 1000, that is a stock photo. Mine has a tail chop, gauge lowering brackets, and I opened up the dry clutch. They didn't make a lot of them

I'm jonesing so hard for an '06 Sport 1000 just like that. Would and will give my first born for a set of titanium Zards for it too.

There's even one for sale on my tiny little island! Cheap too because nobody knows what it is! Can't afford it which makes it all that much worse :)

The DR-Z would probably make an awesome cafe racer. Do it! ;)

If you haven't heard the absolute madness that is the exhaust note of these things with a full Zard system, do yourself a favor:

Wait till they rev it ... Fruitier than a Pride parade on ecstasy! Love it!

Edited by Anthon Berg

I'm jonesing so hard for an '06 Sport 1000 just like that. Would and will give my first born for a set of titanium Zards for it too.

There's even one for sale on my tiny little island! Cheap too because nobody knows what it is! Can't afford it which makes it all that much worse :)

The DR-Z would probably make an awesome cafe racer. Do it! ;)

If you haven't heard the absolute madness that is the exhaust note of these things with a full Zard system, do yourself a favor:

Wait till they rev it ... Fruitier than a Pride parade on ecstasy! Love it!

You're out of luck then, because Ti Zards cost more than your firstborn! :lol:

Yeah, they sound sweet, but 2k for the SS Zards, $300 for ecu tune... too rich for my blood

_57_zpsf1f1310f.jpg

Personally i like this :p Remove the Airbox and fit a pod filter, remove the expansion tank, angle the subfram down a bit so its on the same line as the bottom of the tank, fit a more cafe racer style seat, possibly even a very small digital speedo, ditch the indicators, mirrors and the rad fan.. hmm i think i could always find something i would want to change :L

The thing you posted is exactly it. The bike is gorgeous and would be better with everything you said. (well, i'd probably keep the factory speedo, indicators because law, and bar end mirrors)

• Like 1

If it was me , I would try to get a rolling chassis and mate the 2 together . Like in sound of singles racing , greg 

honda-nsf250r-moto3-race-bike-2.jpg