Sign in to follow this  

Valve Tappets (Lifters)

I'm building a fresh top end on a 2007 and just wondered what your thoughts are on swapping the valve tappets (lifters/buckets) from left to right.  I know you're generally supposed to keep the tappet in its original location, but just wondering if its safe to swap them to achieve a more balanced valve clearance.  So currently exhaust tappet measures

.1069" and needs .1085" shim (275)

.1078" and needs .1068" shim (270)

But if I swap the 2 tappets I can get away with both running .1076" shim (273 or maybe 272 whichever I can find)

Valves are new, seats freshly cut and shims will be new, but tappets are used.  Theres no gain in swapping them, just makes me feel more organized haha, and both my intake shims are .1142" (290) so just wanted to do the same to exhaust. 

Should I just leave it be?

Shouldn.t be a problem to swap them around to get desired clearances,it's just important to keep them in there desired place when removing and refitting a few times so you don't get them mixed up and have the wrong clearances,you're ok as long as you have correct clearance

the buckets should be the same size so i cant see how you going to get the same shim sizes by swapping them.

You can swap as long as you shim them correctly