Sign in to follow this  

Kids on race track, slow ones and fast ones.

At our local pay to ride track, some jerk kid on a kx80, probably 12 or 13 years old who is a pretty fast rider was behind me going into a HUGE corner. I was 1/3 the way through the corner on the inside berm, the kid comes flying into me and bumps into me hard. Almost like he couldn't slow down enough trying to take the corner even tighter. This event is happening in slow motion now, so I look over to my left at him and yell "Hey, watch yourself buddy!" The kid glances over to his right at me with these HUGE eyes, terrified, like he saw a ghost. Funny as hell, till I get home and my brand new bike has a tiny gouge in my rear swing arm from his foot pegs. I haven't even crashed once after 8 hours of riding so it sucks what the kid did, but I just tell myself its a race bike, it won't stay perfect...if was gonna happen anyways.. 

Then you get the 6-7 year olds where the dad is following them around the big track, so not only does the kid create a large no ride zone 5ft on either side of him due to him swerving, in other words the "splash zone". Then the dad on a huge 450 is riding staggered to him about 15 feet behind him. Can't pass these guys for a little bit, at least you can get a rest hah.

Edited by BrapCity
  • Like 1

Pretty common.  I understand the adults following kids to create that buffer zone.  I have taught new riders on the track and had people much faster slam into them.  This is on a track supposedly for beginners and kids so I frequently follow them.  If you want to haul ass and bang into people go race.  But incidental contact does happen sometimes.  Do I get upset?  Depends on the situation.

Try skiing or snowboarding some time at one of the big name hills on a weekend...

Ah i see you're a ct native, head up to Okemo on a holiday weekend :lol:

• Like 2

pretty common, but the reverse also occurs! The next RC or so he thinks blitzs the track like it is the world championship and the last lap and he is all over the place,drifting out of lines, running people off the track, contacting others. You know I had to remind a rider one day that this is a practice track to be used by all. Well I of coarse am old school 59, and he was about mid twenties and tried to remind me he was gods gift to MX, and in the process called me gramps. A roundhouse right to his jaw and he started calling me sir as he picked himself up out of the dirt. Amazing how that worked. Never seen him at the track since.

• Like 5

pretty common, but the reverse also occurs! The next RC or so he thinks blitzs the track like it is the world championship and the last lap and he is all over the place,drifting out of lines, running people off the track, contacting others. You know I had to remind a rider one day that this is a practice track to be used by all. Well I of coarse am old school 59, and he was about mid twenties and tried to remind me he was gods gift to MX, and in the process called me gramps. A roundhouse right to his jaw and he started calling me sir as he picked himself up out of the dirt. Amazing how that worked. Never seen him at the track since.

Really? You assaulted someone? Be careful with that.

Try skiing or snowboarding some time at one of the big name hills on a weekend...

Ah i see you're a ct native, head up to Okemo on a holiday weekend :lol:

Sometimes its hard, you get caught in between the dad and kid, which then you're held captive to one side. It only last 3-4 corners, but it seems like an eternity.

omg a scratch on your swingarm?

I'd say its a little more than a scratch, not bad but wtf, the kid slammed into me when it was pretty easy to avoid.

Typically the dad riding behind his kid on a 50 is a universal sign that you should give them 10 or 15 minutes and stay off the track. It's proper etiquette.

The kid railing on an 85 probably doesn't know much better and he will learn as he develops as a rider. Just take a minute to speak to him in a calm manner and inform him that a practice day isn't a race and he needs to pass with care.

Track riding 101

• Like 5

The track that I ride on for practice days separates riders A-B-C, usually. On slow days, or at the end of the day, with not a lot of riders present, they let everyone go at once. That’s when I pack up and go home. I’m a B rider in Vintage MX, C rider on modern bike. One time I was out with all A-B-C at once. I hit a jump that launches A riders 30 feet into the air. I was 3 feet. I heard it coming. Two A riders had it pinned, one on each side of me. I looked up and saw the underside of their bikes just as I landed back on the ground. Scared the poop out of me. Never again. I load up and go home.

• Like 1

IMO the track should be policed a little better, if anything, by the riders. If census is low, talk to the other riders and set up your own 10-15 minute intervals to let the fast guys be fast. Granted, im sure this guy just came out of nowhere. It was probably my fault tho. I tell these 65/80/85 riders that are obviously not beginners to go run the big track or wait a few minutes for the 50s to pull off so they can ride the pipe without the true beginners around. I teach my kids to share...no shit...the track by resting every little bit. Its too narrow in some spots to pass even if you drive a straight line. I wont ride the big track with him until hes more aware. So bottom line, ask the dad if he wants to do intermittent runs so you can rip without little kids out there. Im never offended by this.

• Like 1

If it's a small amount of people our track makes two practice classes, full size bikes And not full size bikes. And they switch the classes every 15 minutes.

Seems like an easy solution to such a problem. Only one left is the fast 85s scaring the 50s.

In which case they just have to ask to ride with the big bikes, if the official at the gate was able to see he was fast/scaring little bikes he'll let him In with the big ones.

Sometimes its hard, you get caught in between the dad and kid, which then you're held captive to one side. It only last 3-4 corners, but it seems like an eternity.

This is great. BrapCity, if you're lucky (and I hope you are) you are someday going to be that dad out there bending rules because your son or daughter (girls are tougher to tell no) is dying to ride on the "Big Track".

I personally love seeing dads (and moms) out riding with their kids. And its good for the sport.

• Like 2

The track that I ride on for practice days separates riders A-B-C, usually. On slow days, or at the end of the day, with not a lot of riders present, they let everyone go at once. That’s when I pack up and go home. I’m a B rider in Vintage MX, C rider on modern bike. One time I was out with all A-B-C at once. I hit a jump that launches A riders 30 feet into the air. I was 3 feet. I heard it coming. Two A riders had it pinned, one on each side of me. I looked up and saw the underside of their bikes just as I landed back on the ground. Scared the poop out of me. Never again. I load up and go home.

If your a b rider your a b rider bike makes no difference

This stuff happens all the time at the local track here. Everyone's usually good with it and if the parents want time for the little bikes only they will flag the big bikes off and split it up 20 mins on 20 mins off. I have no problem with anyone showing their kid the basics and keeping them safe by following. If they weren't their kid would get killed on the downside by a faster rider landing on them cause they are so small and slow. It's the hardcore Moto dad making their kids run 40 mins straight and having them cut the track without watching to practice whoops. They make it dangerous and no beginner on a 50 is gonna benefit riding like that