Sign in to follow this  

*(^$#%&^ Countershaft!

Well…this sucks…

After the base-gasket blew out on my ’95 XR650L I took the top-end apart and just got everything back from the shop for a general refresh, all the bits look shiny new!

I was planning on installing a new chain & sprockets this fall but since the bike was sitting I figured I would do it now.  Lucky for me I haven't started reassembling the top end yet.

THIS is what my countershaft looks like…

IMG_20140805_073559.jpg   IMG_20140805_073550.jpg

I'm guessing it's about 98% gone...I'm amazed it didn't strip on me...

So…I’ll be tearing the engine further apart shortly to replace the *(^$#%&^ countershaft.  I like how the $100+ countershaft (and the many hours labour to replace it) sacrificed itself to protect the $16 sprocket.  Nice engineering job you did there Mr. HondaI've ridden for decades and owned lots of bikes but this is the first time I've had to replace a countershaft.

I’ve never split the cases on a bike before (that '78 YZ80 doesn't count) so am reading up on what’s involved.  I’m a gearhead so don't think this will be overly complex but I only want to do this once.  Before I dive in I was hoping some of the more experienced Thumpertalk members could answer a few questions:

-        Other than the countershaft itself and the related oil seal is there anything else I should be doing when I’m in there?

-        My transmission shifts perfectly but I read something about an upgraded “spring” for what I think is the shift-lever return.  Can somebody tell me the part number for this upgraded spring as well as how to tell the difference?

-        Do I need any special tools to split the cases?  If so, what are they?  Can I substitute something else?  For example, I saw a pic of a flywheel puller…wouldn’t any sufficiently long 20x1.5mm bolt do?  

I thought about the 2nd & 5th gear mods some folks are doing but to be honest I’m an older guy (50 this year!) and my boonie bashing days are mostly behind me.  I ride 95% on the street and am happy with the gearing as-is. FYI I'll definitely be putting a XRR sprocket on it when I get back on the road!

Other than the above that’s all I can think of for now.

Any tips, tricks, watch-outs and advice GREATLY appreciated! 

TIA,

Daryl

I pulled the cases apart (my first time) but left the crank and flywheel in place as

I was only after the counter shaft.

I have a prefectly good counter shaft if you want it - as I changed it to add a kick-starter.

Tell me where to send it and you can have it - otherwise it will just sit in my

bolt box rusting away.

I bought a complete gasket kit - so I made sure I had everything.

It was not too hard at all.

I did run it through the gears after I got the cases together but before I put on

the cylinder, side covers etc to be sure all was OK before I completely assembled.

Just turned the shafts buy hand and shifted - made me feel a lot better 

to final assemble the engine.

Take your time and keep track of washers and the like and it wasn't too hard.

I took photos with my phone I could refer back to as I took it apart.

I also had a manual just for the exploded views - they were helpful.

• Like 1

PM Sent!

Thanks tons for the offer, hugely appreciated!

Thanks also for the tip on the flywheel, sounds like I can leave most of the left hand side of the crankcase alone (including the cover, nice!).

Cheers,

Daryl

I pulled the cases apart (my first time) but left the crank and flywheel in place as

I was only after the counter shaft.

I have a prefectly good counter shaft if you want it - as I changed it to add a kick-starter.

Tell me where to send it and you can have it - otherwise it will just sit in my

bolt box rusting away.

I bought a complete gasket kit - so I made sure I had everything.

It was not too hard at all.

I did run it through the gears after I got the cases together but before I put on

the cylinder, side covers etc to be sure all was OK before I completely assembled.

Just turned the shafts buy hand and shifted - made me feel a lot better 

to final assemble the engine.

Take your time and keep track of washers and the like and it wasn't too hard.

I took photos with my phone I could refer back to as I took it apart.

I also had a manual just for the exploded views - they were helpful.

leave the stator cover on.no need to remove it......everything on the right side comes off..

the new spring part# is  24624-MT3-000...

it goes just inside the left case.......go look at the fishe here  http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#/Honda/XR650L_A_(95)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2RD060-SM200001_TO_JH2RD060-SM200700/GEARSHIFT_DRUM/XR650L-95-JPN-A/2Y14MY6PMY64E1700E

part is #10

I`m 50 this year too.what difference does that make :lol:  the second gear mod is well worth the 40 bucks,,the fifth gear mod is freekin sweet too,but harder to source..

i had a spare second gear from the NX650...but gave it to Thumpnred...since he`s such a nice fella,,,and also cheap too.. :devil:

B

Edited by brianhare

why not weld the sprocket on and in the future if you need to crack the engine, then you do the counter-shaft as well?

I know its not ideal, but damn, splitting the case is a LOT of work. 

why not weld the sprocket on and in the future if you need to crack the engine, then you do the counter-shaft as well?

He's practically there, it's not much more work to split the cases after the jug is off. That's a good idea to get you through the season, but not when the engine is more than half way taken down.

Have you considered throwing an XR600R countershaft in there just in case you want to add a kickstart down the road? It's a direct swap and all the kickstart parts can be install with the engine still in the frame later.

Because that is a half azzed way of dong things! Yes, that's a sore spot with me. I am sure that the previous owner of my bike simply forgot to mention that the sprocket was welded onto a gutted shaft when he sold me the bike. I now harbor significant contempt for those who weld busted stuff on instead of fixing it correctly. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy (pretty sure that's not a maybe).

Oh well... I am done with my rant. Carry on

PA090156.jpg

leave the stator cover on.no need to remove it......everything on the right side comes off..

the new spring part# is  24624-MT3-000...

it goes just inside the left case.......go look at the fishe here  http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#/Honda/XR650L_A_(95)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2RD060-SM200001_TO_JH2RD060-SM200700/GEARSHIFT_DRUM/XR650L-95-JPN-A/2Y14MY6PMY64E1700E

part is #10

I`m 50 this year too.what difference does that make :lol:  the second gear mod is well worth the 40 bucks,,the fifth gear mod is freekin sweet too,but harder to source..

i had a spare second gear from the NX650...but gave it to Thumpnred...since he`s such a nice fella,,,and also cheap too.. :devil:

B

Amen brother!

I split the cases a few months ago and I really wish I had replaced that spring. I took a chance on that one hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me.

Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy (pretty sure that's not a maybe).

Oh well... I am done with my rant. Carry on

PA090156.jpg

I'll clarify that for ya. It's definitely not a maybe. I'm 61. :thumbsup:

Well…this sucks…

After the base-gasket blew out on my ’95 XR650L I took the top-end apart and just got everything back from the shop for a general refresh, all the bits look shiny new!

I was planning on installing a new chain & sprockets this fall but since the bike was sitting I figured I would do it now.  Lucky for me I haven't started reassembling the top end yet.

THIS is what my countershaft looks like…

attachicon.gifIMG_20140805_073559.jpg   attachicon.gifIMG_20140805_073550.jpg

I'm guessing it's about 98% gone...I'm amazed it didn't strip on me...

So…I’ll be tearing the engine further apart shortly to replace the *(^$#%&^ countershaft.  I like how the $100+ countershaft (and the many hours labour to replace it) sacrificed itself to protect the $16 sprocket.  Nice engineering job you did there Mr. Honda…I've ridden for decades and owned lots of bikes but this is the first time I've had to replace a countershaft.

I’ve never split the cases on a bike before (that '78 YZ80 doesn't count) so am reading up on what’s involved.  I’m a gearhead so don't think this will be overly complex but I only want to do this once.  Before I dive in I was hoping some of the more experienced Thumpertalk members could answer a few questions:

-        Other than the countershaft itself and the related oil seal is there anything else I should be doing when I’m in there?

-        My transmission shifts perfectly but I read something about an upgraded “spring” for what I think is the shift-lever return.  Can somebody tell me the part number for this upgraded spring as well as how to tell the difference?

-        Do I need any special tools to split the cases?  If so, what are they?  Can I substitute something else?  For example, I saw a pic of a flywheel puller…wouldn’t any sufficiently long 20x1.5mm bolt do?  

I thought about the 2nd & 5th gear mods some folks are doing but to be honest I’m an older guy (50 this year!) and my boonie bashing days are mostly behind me.  I ride 95% on the street and am happy with the gearing as-is. FYI I'll definitely be putting a XRR sprocket on it when I get back on the road!

Other than the above that’s all I can think of for now.

Any tips, tricks, watch-outs and advice GREATLY appreciated! 

TIA,

Daryl

Here is the shaft I have.

It has had a XRR sprocket on it since mile 50 or so.

It has 15,000 miles on it - it is on perfect shape.

I will be sending it to you today.

20140806_0856271_zpse2779121.jpg

20140806_0856361_zps9575f7e6.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the shaft I have.

It has had a XRR sprocket on it since mile 50 or so.

It has 15,000 miles on it - it is on perfect shape.

I will be sending it to you today.

Awesome!  Thanks for helping me out.  The countershaft was a surprise so had not budgeted for it so every bit helps.

I'll definitely be paying this forward....  

I'm amazed at how good your part looks given it's got 15K on it.  I'm at 20K mileage and mine is destroyed.  Installing the XRR sprocket seems like a no-brainer...if anybody needs proof look no further.

Cheers,

Daryl

You meet alot of nice,helpfull people on this forum....this proves it..

really nice seeing people help other people they do not know,,

good job eldorado650...

B

Edited by brianhare

The 650 forum is great.

The California forum is not the best.

It is not doing me any good - so if someone 

can get some use from it - all the better.

I did the kick start for my Idaho trip.

728 miles in 3 days - much of it single and 2 track.

It was awesome!

The old 650L didn't miss a beat.

The KTM I was with siezed up their transmission.

Cut our trip short - but the L never let me down!

Good old bike.

Never had to use the kick starter - but it was nice as a back-up.

The CA section in Downieville has the L is there - towards the last page.

She is not pretty - but tough as nails.

The 10:1 piston and over bore didn't hurt either!

I`ve given a pile of stuff away on these forums in the years i`ve been here,,,also on ADVtrider in the XRL forum

there..more than happy to help someone when i can..

I know a guy in San Fransico that would cut his right leg off to help me..

paying it forward is the least i can do..

B

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to ElDorado and Brian and everyone else for the advice and tips.  

I got the bike on the road a couple of weeks ago, ElDorado's replacement countershaft went in without any problems.  Same for the shift return spring.  Had an issue with getting the oil pump primed so had to pressurize the oil tank to about 8 PSI to get it working. Once I was sure everything was OK I fired it up...started instantly! Lots of grins here.  

I'll have to put it away soon for the winter but I'll be ready to ride as soon as the snow melts.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Daryl

Ajax, ON

• Like 1

Yeah there's nothing oke having your pride and joy I pieces (mine for months) and it starts first try (kick). I was ecstatic and quite honestly amazed when my 86 Xl fired up first time after complete rebuild of top and bottom. Glad you got it working. Good luck and happy riding