Sign in to follow this  

Help with tires for my CRF250X

Need to get some DOT tires. I see there are various recommendations for this.

My issue is understanding the tire sizes. The manual says:

Front: 80/100 - 21 51M

Rear: 100/100 - 18 59M

When I go to purchase the tires I get different sizes. For example, for the front tire, I understand the Pirelli MT21 is an awesome front tire. On RMATV:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1346/3522/Pirelli-MT21-Dual-Sport-Rallycross?v=10483

Now the size is 90X90 - 21 versus the 80/100. will the 90X90 ft and what is the difference..?

It seems the most recommended rear tire is the Kenda Trakmaster

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1346/5395/Kenda-K760-Trakmaster-II-Tire?v=10483

seems this one can be purchased at 100/100

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

Yes, the size 90/90-21 tire will fit your front rim. :)  This tire is merely 10mm wider, and 9mm taller than the size 80/90-21 tire. ;)

For metric tires the first number indicates the width of the tire in millimeters.  The next number represent the aspect ratio of the tire's height versus width.  Therefore, a size 80/90-21 tire is 90 percent as tall as the tire is wide.  In this instance, the tire is .90 x 80mm = 72mm tall.  The size 90/90-21 tire is .90 x 90mm = 81mm tall.

The last number indicates the rim size.  Therefore, a size 100/100-18 tire has an 18-inch rim, and a size 80/90-21 tire has a 21-inch rim.

As long as you are not riding in rocks, the Kenda K760 tire will serve you well.  The K760 tends to chunk knobs when ridden hard in rocky terrain. ;)  You could save some money and mount the Kenda K760 tires on both wheels. :)

Spud :)

• Like 1

As long as you are not riding in rocks, the Kenda K760 tire will serve you well.  The K760 tends to chunk knobs when ridden hard in rocky terrain. ;)  You could save some money and mount the Kenda K760 tires on both wheels. :)

Thanks Spud. I heard/read the Kenda in front tends to slip out in reviews. I'm in CO and may need to rethink my rear tire choice. Cheers!

You're welcome. :)

Do the police really bother you concerning DOT tires in Colorado?  All my motorcycles are licensed for the street, yet I don't mount DOT tires.  Nobody bothers us regarding this matter in Idaho. ;)

If you truly need DOT tires, you might consider the Dunlop D606 for the rear tire.  If you don't truly need DOT tires, I can offer some better, less expensive alternatives. ;)

You're welcome. :)

Do the police really bother you concerning DOT tires in Colorado?  All my motorcycles are licensed for the street, yet I don't mount DOT tires.  Nobody bothers us regarding this matter in Idaho. ;)

If you truly need DOT tires, you might consider the Dunlop D606 for the rear tire.  If you don't truly need DOT tires, I can offer some better, less expensive alternatives. ;)

Thats exactly what I was going to suggest for a rear. I'm torn between the Pirellin MT21 front and the Pirelli Scorpion Pro though. A friend said the Scorpion is a little better, but that both are good.  What do you think?

I've read about the Kenda being great when new, but the knobs round off quickly on pavement and its dirt characteristics suffer as a result. I;ve also read about chunking knobs.

I dunno about the OP's motive for wanting to go DOT. Mine is for dual sporting and riding some pavement at highway speed in addition to  offroad. My tires are for my KTM, so not sure if you guys will talk to me any more.  :)

• Like 1

I don't have personal experience with either of the Pirelli front tires you mentioned.  However, I have read generally good reports for both of them.  I don't think you can go wrong with either front tire; try them both and see which one you prefer. :)

I don't ride a lot of asphalt/concrete, but have also never been stopped and I do not run DOT tires. If you want to go trials tire for the rear, the Pirelli is DOT legal. Some people swear by them here in Colorado, I have yet to pull the trigger on one.

I dunno about the OP's motive for wanting to go DOT. Mine is for dual sporting and riding some pavement at highway speed in addition to  offroad. My tires are for my KTM, so not sure if you guys will talk to me any more.  :)

I want to dual-sport my bike. I look at it every day in the garage and just want to ride it, but I need to wait for the weekend and for when my wife gives me a pass :rolleyes:. Actually it is also for between-trails.

Part of the regulation in CO is to have DOT tires - is says on the roadworthy checklist form DR2686 by the Division of Motorcycles, section 42-4-288(6) : Restrictions on Tire Equipment: Must be market DOT on-road use.

If anyone can tell me if it is possible to get this passed without DOT tires, I'd be more than happy to hear.

No pass anymore. few years back we could sign the affidavit and run to the registration office and get plates. Inspection was not part of the deal then.

BTW I never get a second look from LEO's when I am on the road let alone being stopped for equipment verification. Keep your plate clearly visible from the rear and ride responsibly on the road and you'll never have an issue. Helps if you are not doing wheelies down the highway, I can no longer own 1000cc sportbikes due to my right wrist being "on or off" only.

No pass anymore. few years back we could sign the affidavit and run to the registration office and get plates. Inspection was not part of the deal then.

We don't have inspections in Idaho.

I want to dual-sport my bike. I look at it every day in the garage and just want to ride it, but I need to wait for the weekend and for when my wife gives me a pass :rolleyes:. Actually it is also for between-trails.

Part of the regulation in CO is to have DOT tires - is says on the roadworthy checklist form DR2686 by the Division of Motorcycles, section 42-4-288(6) : Restrictions on Tire Equipment: Must be market DOT on-road use.

If anyone can tell me if it is possible to get this passed without DOT tires, I'd be more than happy to hear.

Put DOT tires on for the inspection.  After those tires wear out, replace them with tires you like better.

Or take off the DOT stuff right after inspection and save it for when gonna do DS rides. Thats what I've done.

Currently, I want to get some new tires for some relatively long distances on pavement. Mostly cuz I don't wanna wear out my knobbies, but being legal has its benefits.

I agree with redhurricane about no roadside vehicle inspections BUT, I heard where a guy got a ticket in SW Colorado a couple weeks ago for defective vehicle due to no DOT tires. It was one of those places where you take a road for a short bit to connect trails. I'm sure the LEOs know where these places are.

So the guy really was riding trails, but he couldn't use that as a defense because he didn't have a sticker. The LEO found him on the road with a plated bike, but it failed inspection. Either way the guy was screwed and got cited for defective vehicle.

I run both an OHV permit and a plate to avoid these problems. YMMV

It's sad to hear that Colorado police don't have better things to do than ticket a licensed motorcycle for not having DOT tires.   <_<  

It's sad to hear that Colorado police don't have better things to do than ticket a licensed motorcycle for not having DOT tires.   <_<

I would venture to guess (assume) that this was a rare case, and the citing LEO had a bone to pick with the rider. In any of my occurrences where I have encountered "tha man", I have taken the courteous approach with them up front and find that I am therefore not "harassed" as some would call it.

This is the very first time I have even heard a rumor of the police ticketing a licensed motorcycle for not having DOT tires.   I wouldn't be surprised if the event never happened.   ;)  In fact, I think it is unlikely the incident actually occurred.

Edited by SpudRider

This is the very first time I have even heard a rumor of the police ticketing a licensed motorcycle for not having DOT tires.   I wouldn't be surprised if the event never happened.   ;)  In fact, I think it is unlikely the incident actually occurred.

Spud, do you also wanna tell me that guys being harassed in Colorado for only running plates and no OHV tags while riding trails is also a rumor? That it never happens?  On the incident I reported upon, I don't know the rider, but know the person he told of his fate. Believe it or not.

I agree with redhurricane that it was an unusual event and I too think there is something that occurred that prompted the LEOs behavior. The guy mighta had a loud bike but the LEO no way to confirm, thus got him for tires. He coulda been speeding, wheeling, or maybe just mouthing off. 

Spud, do you also wanna tell me that guys being harassed in Colorado for only running plates and no OHV tags while riding trails is also a rumor? That it never happens?  On the incident I reported upon, I don't know the rider, but know the person he told of his fate. Believe it or not...

I don't anything about the OHV tag situation in Colorado; I don't have any opinion regarding that matter.   :excuseme:   You got the tire ticket information secondhand from a person you know; if that's good enough for you, it's okay with me. ;)