Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone else tried this

My family own several sporting goods stores and in each is a bicycle shop. Today I noticed a standard break cable (though longer) is very similar to my now broken throttle cable and far cheaper. I may modify one tomorrow and see how it works but I was curious what other jimmy rig solutions others have came up with. Worst case scenario is I go to town and buy a proper one if it doesn't work.

Ok so I never tried the break cable for a couple reasons but I also couldn't find the right cable without ordering it (I'm more impatient than my 5yo) so I found a go cart cable with the right ends but the wrong inner length compared to outer length. Long story short 20$ and half an hour of work later I had the right size cable working better than the Chinese factory one and no waiting for shipping. However because I brought it up ill still try a bicycle break cable this week sometime and report back when I can.

I Modified the front forks to have 7 and 3/4 inches of travel instead of the 5.8 inches, and allot if not all comments said it can not be done safely.. ha ha.. works great. So you do what ever you feel is going to work for you, and take heed about warnings about what you do that is not stock, but do it anyway, ha ha

You will always have trouble getting parts quickly for this bike.  Big problem is, there is no service manual to buy, and no torque specs to follow.  Use what you know from working on other bikes as a general guide to torquing nuts n bolts.  

I was shocked that the SSR people did not know  much about any technical issues with this bike and what they do know or follow is not always right, so double check everything.

good luck..

Gary   125 TR, SSRowner