Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki DR 650 SM Conversion

Hello TT members.

I am new to TT, and have recently purchased a dual sport. I have received some good info on here, and thought I would try to give some back...

I took a completely stock DR 650 and turned it into a SM. 

I am an X - dirt bike guy, and my last bike was a Honda CRF 450R - so I liked that upright riding position, but the DR handled terribly. I would never attempt to take the DR off road, so I decided to turn it into a SM ( or basically get SM wheels & rubber ). 

I bought the wheels, hubs, rotors, and tires complete from Motoxindustries.com. My 20 year old son had bought the same for his DRZ400S a few days prior, and they shipped right away - so I knew the company was legit ( I've never heard of them, and couldn't find any reviews good or bad ). 

Jim had to special order the hubs because they have a cush drive set up, but they arrived to him within a few days, and he then turned everything around and shipped them out right away. My son had to order a new speedo, so I just assumed I had to as well. Jim immediately noticed that, and informed me that I didn't need it, and refunded me the money ( I thought that was pretty cool ). So for anyone out there considering doing this, I recommend them 100%.

Other mods are as follows:

FMF full exhaust - Q4 & power bomb header

K&N air filter ( I left the whole cover off, and it runs great ).

Stage 2 jet kit

Those 3 mods woke the bike up big time...

Renthal R4 525 chain

Supersprox 43 tooth rear sproket

Renthal bars

I have attached a few pics for now, but will update them with better ones in the next few days.

Anyway I hope this helps anyone that is curious about converting theirs to a SM. My son did the exact thing if anyone needs any comparisons between the bikes.

Also, stock rims, tires, and rotors are going on craigslist soon if anyone is interested.

Oh yeah, I have only ridden it for about 20 miles today - I just got back from a local Honda dealer ( my local Suzuki dealer sucks ass ) and the bike handles awesome!!! My riding partner/son is out of town on vaca..

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg