Sign in to follow this  

Where is the spring rate marked on the rear suspension

Got a used 2000 yz 250 and the history is unknown. I am 165 lbs without gears on me and the race sag is now  120mm. based on various reads i assume 105mm is the sag i need to start with. 

with that in mind i need to reduce 15 mm. before i go ahead and turn the rings i want to make sure i have the right suspension / spring rate for my weight. 

Any idea where the spring rate is stamped ?

thanks

Got a used 2000 yz 250 and the history is unknown. I am 165 lbs without gears on me and the race sag is now  120mm. based on various reads i assume 105mm is the sag i need to start with. 

with that in mind i need to reduce 15 mm. before i go ahead and turn the rings i want to make sure i have the right suspension / spring rate for my weight. 

Any idea where the spring rate is stamped ?

thanks

Yamaha does it will color banded paint on the stock shock spring. The paint wears off really quick.

Best bet is to take it to a suspension tuner, have the rate measured and go from there 

Set your race sag at 105mm, and check your static sag. Hopefully, it will be somewhat near 25mm/30mm. If that is the case, then your spring rate will be fine for your weight.

thanks. will try this out.

Set your race sag at 105mm, and check your static sag. Hopefully, it will be somewhat near 25mm/30mm. If that is the case, then your spring rate will be fine for your weight.

And don't forget to set it with your heavier stuff like boots and helmet on. It'll make a difference. You probably already know this, but if your static sag is less than about an inch (25mm), you need a stiffer spring (because you had to crank the preload to get to 105 race sag). And if it's more than an inch or so, you need a lighter spring. If it's the stock spring in decent shape, I bet it'll be close at your weight.

And to hopefully help with your question, if you go to Kayaba's website to the Downloads section, you can find a tech manual that will decode markings and measurements for all their springs.

Edited by RockerWR450