Sign in to follow this  

2002 xr250 oil in one of the exhaust chambers

Just rebuilt my top end on my bike, new piston and rings, cylinder bored out, new exhaust valve guides and new seats cut and all new valves. Bike was running perfect, rode it once after a warm up changed the oil, rode it some more(different day). Got about 50 miles on the rebuild and now I start to see smoke. Still running fine.

I pulled off the exhaust to look in exhaust chambers and one of them is leaking oil into it somehow, not both just one. The other one has a light coating of soot which is normal. I have it all apart again and not sure why its doing it. Valve guide was new, valve new and valve seals were new. Should I replace valve seal and see what happens?

Any thoughts?

Also the valves I got from wiseco were supposed same material as oem or oem grade as they told me but they are much softer and easy to mar up. After removing it it has a bunch of little gouges in it but no idea what from, if they were there from install or removal I dont know, but the oem valves I cannot scratch, thinking of just cleaning old exhaust valve and lapping it inwith new seal.

I have pictures of chamber but dont see how to upload on my phone. Its like black syrup.

Edited by mranderson04

Who did the valve guides? Were they reamed properly after being installed?

replace the valve seal- preferably with kibblewhite dual spring seals. I fought this gremlin on our 250, the seals that came with the cometic gasket set failed. grease the seals well before installing to avoid damaging the wiper.

Manufacturers Part Number - 700-100016 <-- this part is correct for the XR250 as well as a handful of other engines. the top spring helps keep a great seal on the stem, something the Cometic seals do NOT have. I had an XR250 that was bored to 284cc, the added vacuum from the bore was still pulling oil past the stock seals. no blow by with the kibblewhite seal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIBBLEWHITE-VITON-VALVE-SEAL-YAMAHA-GRIZZLY-700-RAPTOR-700-700-100016-/380966019317?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXR250R&hash=item58b35820f5&vxp=mtr

Ok, since I have the head off again the valves that were put in are complete shit, they scratched on removal, im going to put in the kibble white black diamond valves, can these be used with oem springs and retainers or do I need their spring kit

So I got kibble white black diamond valves, was reading on their site and it was saying their coated valves shouldnt be lapped in, what else would you do to ensure a good seat